LPCXpresso - Debug button rebuilds only "main" project, fails to rebuild referenced projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso - Debug button rebuilds only "main" project, fails to rebuild referenced projects

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jedrzej.dudkiewicz on Mon Nov 10 06:50:41 MST 2014
When I'm hitting "Debug button" (green bug between "Terminate" and "Run" buttons) my main project (one that contains "main" function and all) is rebuilt, *BUT* referenced projects (libraries), all four of them, aren't. I have to highlight my project in "Project Explorer" tab, click "Rebuild" and then "Debug". It's silly and cumbersome. Two versions back it worked as expected, so I thought it was an error in 7.4, but it's still present in 7.5. I don't believe I'm the only one with this problem, but I couldn't find any solutions or posts regarding this (or I missed them, sorry). What should I do?
0 Kudos
8 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jedrzej.dudkiewicz on Thu Nov 13 05:59:58 MST 2014
Regarding original problem, "Debug" button not rebuilding referenced applications. Although I had those projects marked in "Properties -> Project References", they weren't selected as references/dependencies in "Properties -> C/C++ General -> Paths and Symbols -> References". When I selected them there it started to work again. Doh.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jedrzej.dudkiewicz on Thu Nov 13 04:34:26 MST 2014
Well, I don't know about it. I see in registry that there is key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\LPCXpresso7_is1", which is pretty generic if you ask me, there is no version number or anything else in the name. But yeah, I don't suppose any value kept there should apply to debugging or building. On the other hand this is info for uninstaller, so maybe when I removed an old version something went wrong. If I recall correctly I uninstalled 7.3 using unins000.exe in installation directory - maybe it was bad thing to do.

Never the less without full reinstall of 7.5 I were unable to compile single file. I've been creating new workspaces, deleting various configuration files in existing ones (actually in copies of workspaces) to no avail.

Anyway, now that I think about it it's probably a problem with LPCXpresso's base, that is Eclipse/CDT tandem, so it wasn't the best place to ask this question to begin with. Sorry.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Nov 13 01:53:18 MST 2014
That makes no sense. Provided they are installed into separate directories, all installations of LPCXpresso are completely independent from each other. For example, I have multiple version installed (going all the way back to v3) and there are no conflicts.

Anyway, I am glad that you are back working again.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jedrzej.dudkiewicz on Wed Nov 12 23:36:39 MST 2014
Ok, so it seems that I had some lingering changes from previous installations. I've been upgrading LPCXpresso from version available in december 2013 (so 7.2 or 7.3) up to 7.5 few days ago. Today I created an empty C++ project for LPC 1768 and I still couldn't build single file. Then I removed all traces of all versions of LPCXpresso from my laptop, reinstalled latest version and it works (currently, but I hope it will stay that way - this is tremendously useful option when one is removing warnings). So it seems that I shouldn't install new version when old versions are around (I weren't installing to the same directory, there were few copies in my c:\projects\tools\ directory).

TL;DR: remove all LPCXpresso versions and install latest.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Nov 12 02:52:04 MST 2014
There have been NO recent changes in this area. In fact it is standard Eclipse+CDT behavior. Therefore, there must be a problem with your project (or debug) configuration.

If you are unable to resolve it yourself, please either
a) export and post your projects, or
b) provide DETAILED instructions on exactly how to reproduce the problem

Unfortunately, unless we are able to reproduce your problem, then we are unable to provide any further advice.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jedrzej.dudkiewicz on Wed Nov 12 01:53:30 MST 2014
Ok, it's getting worse. Previously, when I hit the "Debug" button, my workspace was rebuilt and I could do it while I've been in ANY project. So if it were a library project, LPCXpresso would properly select project to run & debug (I have only one such project in a workspace).

In addition, now I'm unable to build single file - previously it frequently required selecting other file, then selecting new file, then clicking it with right button and selecting "Build Selected File(s)", but now this option is disabled no matter where and how frequently I click. Rats!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jedrzej.dudkiewicz on Wed Nov 12 00:49:52 MST 2014
Well, projects were referencing each other, since otherwise I wouldn't expect them to be rebuild. Anyway, I've recreated my workspace under 7.5 (I've been using the same workspace since 7.4) and it works again. Oh well.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Nov 10 08:08:43 MST 2014
I can't replicate any such issues here. I imagine that the most likely cause is that your library projects are not linked using "project references" to your main application.

To check this, select the main application project in project properties, right click and select:

Properties -> Project References

and ensure that all your associated library projects are ticked.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support.
0 Kudos