cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross-platform support?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by annodomini2 on Tue Jan 19 14:41:22 MST 2010
Get my LPCxpresso, download the IDE, begin to install, notification

"debugger will not work with 64Bit Systems"

The fact that the debugger is included was the main selling point for me, yet there is no obvious mention of this incompatibility.

Is it intended to add 64Bit compatibility?
0 Kudos
25 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Sun Feb 07 10:41:28 MST 2010
Same over here.
I have no idea how to set my PX in XP mode - all I know is that I can run a program in XP compatibility mode but no idea how to do XP mode.

Anyway - having to mingle with that kind of stuff is too complicated for normal users.
On my system I have a device that has no signed driver so I need to start windows with F8 and disable driver signing - I could (barely) live with that for the LPC-Link.

Why O Why made Microsoft our lives so difficult ...

Rob

P.s: could someone remove the spam from koobeton (and the user at the same time ...)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by sprocket on Sun Feb 07 09:37:28 MST 2010
I have Win7 x64, but it's a Wolfdale 7600 CPU.
ie. it does not support virtualization. So I can't use XP mode.
Clearly with hindsight I should have bought a different hardware spec but I didn't spot this at the time.

Thanks
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lukkezeh on Tue Feb 02 09:16:07 MST 2010
I also wanne know the answer of this question.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by elektrknight on Sun Jan 31 22:18:39 MST 2010
Hi,

For flash programming LPC MCU on Linux you can use lpc21isp.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpc21isp/

Support for the lpc13xx is in beta and will be released shortly.
Right now you can download beta win32 console executable and
try it on Linux. Should work out of the box on Ubuntu or any
distribution with Wine.

http://www.32bitmicro.com/software/downloads/category/2-tools

Pawel
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by annodomini2 on Sat Jan 30 10:38:41 MST 2010
Confirmed with your new script
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by cbiffle on Fri Jan 29 19:43:18 MST 2010
I bought an LPCxpresso through Digikey, after verifying that neither their site, nor lpcxpresso.com, say it requires Windows (I normally work on Linux).  Lo and behold, when I opened the box, it's Windows only, despite the IDE being based on the cross-platform Eclipse IDE.

It's an M3, so surely I can simply compile my code with GCC, like I do for similar parts from Atmel and ST.  Am I right in thinking I'd have to solder on a button and a USB connector to use the USB bootloader?  Is the checksum algorithm used to verify firmware images specified anywhere?  Is there really no cross-platform or open-source support for the programming interface on the LPCxpresso?  I'd hate to have to return it, but right now it's a paperweight (and not an effective one, since it's so light :) ).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Jan 28 10:10:06 MST 2010
Hi,

A quick update on how to get this working in XP Mode on Win7 (64-bit).
Briefly:
- Create a file call 'boot.cmd' in <lpcxpresso_install_dir>/bin/Scripts and populate it with the commands listed at the end of this note. It is imprtant you place them in this directory.
- Boot XP Mode
- Connect your LPC-Link (LPCXpresso) board
- In the XP Mode Window, Select USB->Unidentified Device->Attach
- XP Mode will now load the drivers for the "USB Device with DFU capabilities". When requested, direct it to load the drivers from <lpcxpresso_install_dir>/Drivers/DFU
- run the 'boot.cmd' script. This will load the firmware onto the LPC-Link board
- In the XP Mode Window, Select USB->Unidentified Device->Detach
- You may close XP Mode.

Win7 will load the drivers for the LPC-Link board. You will now be able use the LPCXpresso IDE from Win7 to debug your board.

Contents of boot.cmd:
@echo off
setlocal
set BOOT_HOME=%~d0%~p0
set ROM=LPCXpressoHS.enc
echo Booting LPC-Link with %ROM%
%BOOT_HOME%\..\dfuapp /f %BOOT_HOME%\..\%ROM% /tl 250 /l dfuapp.log
endlocal
pause
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by igorsk on Wed Jan 27 14:55:41 MST 2010
What's the ETA on 64-bit support? I'm thinking about writing a DFU uploader using WinUSB, but if you're releasing something soon, it might be not worth spending time on.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Jan 27 08:57:36 MST 2010
Hi,

We recently identified a problem where the debug driver can hang if a previous session did not properly terminate.

To ensure you boot 'cleanly', on your 32-bit machine, open a command prompt at:
   <install>/bin/Scripts
run the script:
   bootLPCXpresso.cmd

Now go back to your 64-bit machine a try debugging again (having switch the USB cables!).

Thanks
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jan 27 08:35:20 MST 2010
Thanks,

this is excellent support - very quick answer!

I just tested using a USB 2.0 powered hub - switching the cable to my 64 bit machine now results in the LPC-Link Probe driver being recognized and installed. According to the control panel the device is operational.

When I now click on "Debug 'oled_periph'" in the Quickstart window, LPCXpresso starts downloading - but hangs on "Launching oled_periph (Debug) 57%".
This is where (on the 32 bits machine) I see the "Initializing LPC-Link" splash screen.

I tried to set the application in XP or Vista compatibility mode but this had no effect (other than that I could not compile anymore).
I guess I have to stick to my laptop until there are 64 bit drivers (too bad my other PCs are all running Win7 64 bit).

Rob

P.s: I know that it is advised not to use a hub but it worked on the laptop so I could always try

P.p.s: I am not too happy with the subject title...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Jan 27 06:45:16 MST 2010
LPC-Link is only powered by the USB directly connected to it. The LPC3154 on the LPC-Link is a RAM only device (no flash) and so as soon as you remove the power, it loses all state and has to be rebooted.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jan 27 06:16:15 MST 2010

Quote: CodeRedSupport

However, once LPC-Link is booted, the product itself (IDE etc) works fine on any version of Windows (XP/Vista/Win7, 32 or 64 bit).

Meanwhile I also installed the Code Red suite on my Vista-32 machine, that works perfectly but when I swap the USB cabel from my Vista machine to my Windows 7 (64 bit) machine it still pops up with the "unknown device" balloon, even if the LPCXpresso board is powered from another USB port on that laptop.

Since I do not have any schematics I have to guess what happens here.
It looks like the LPC-Link module is only powered via its own USB interface and not via the target ???

If that was the case then at least I could use my Vista laptop as an expensive battery pack :eek:

Regards,

Rob

-- In practice the difference between theory and practice is bigger than in theory
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Jan 26 12:39:05 MST 2010
Yes, that is the theory.

I am trying to find a machine here that is compatible with XP mode and runs Win7/64 so that I can try it out. In the meantime, perhaps you can post your findings.

Thanks
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by annodomini2 on Tue Jan 26 12:11:59 MST 2010
Ahh got you, so theoretically we can use XP mode with the script you listed to image the LPC-Link via DFU and then continue to develop in 64Bit.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Jan 26 10:46:34 MST 2010
The problem is that there are no 64-bit DFU drivers, so the LPC-Link cannot be booted (loaded with its firmware image via USB's Device Firmware Upgrade).

However, once LPC-Link is booted, the product itself (IDE etc) works fine on any version of Windows (XP/Vista/Win7, 32 or 64 bit).

For example, on my dual-boot PC, I can boot LPC-Link in 32-bit windows, reboot the PC into 64-bit windows (without powering down - so the LPC-Link retains its booted image) and then connect and debug fine.

We are working ith NXP to provide the necessary drivers for 64-bit, but as yet there is no schedule for when this will be delivered.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Tue Jan 26 07:59:35 MST 2010
Dito,

justed installed the whole bunch just to see that debugging using LPC-Link is not supported on 64 bit systems ...

Could anyone from NXP support explain us how to " to run LPCXpresso in Windows 7 64-bit by using the built-in XP mode".

I can of course tun the program in XP mode but the problem is that Windows 7 64 bit did not install a driver for the USB device.

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by annodomini2 on Tue Jan 26 06:32:04 MST 2010

Quote: CodeRedSupport
Hi,

I'm sorry for the problems you are having. We (CodeRed) have never tried using XPMode to run LPCXpresso, so have no experience of this. We have tried using VMWare and that does work (with the disconnect/reconnect to allow re-enumeration of USB).

However, I have one thing that you could try. From within XP mode, try using the script "bootLPCXpresso.cmd" which can be found in the bin/scripts directory. You may need to install the DFU drivers that can be found in Drivers/DFU (these are 32-bit only). If the boot succeeds, Windows will prompt you for a driver. Point it at the Drivers/LPC-Link directory and install the drivers (these are both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers).

If this all works, you should then be able to run LPCXpresso directly (i.e. not via XPMode).

If it doesn't work, I am afraid you will either have to use a 'proper' VM, or wait until NXP release suitable 64-bit drivers.

Hope that helps,

I'm not quite sure what you are saying run the script in XP Mode, but install the driver in Windows 7 64Bit?

Assuming this works, I assume I am still running the IDE from XP mode?

I get the impression that the 64Bit problem is the debugger interface and not the actual hardware driver.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Jan 26 01:56:06 MST 2010
Hi,

I'm sorry for the problems you are having. We (CodeRed) have never tried using XPMode to run LPCXpresso, so have no experience of this. We have tried using VMWare and that does work (with the disconnect/reconnect to allow re-enumeration of USB).

However, I have one thing that you could try. From within XP mode, try using the script "bootLPCXpresso.cmd" which can be found in the bin/scripts directory. You may need to install the DFU drivers that can be found in Drivers/DFU (these are 32-bit only). If the boot succeeds, Windows will prompt you for a driver. Point it at the Drivers/LPC-Link directory and install the drivers (these are both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers).

If this all works, you should then be able to run LPCXpresso directly (i.e. not via XPMode).

If it doesn't work, I am afraid you will either have to use a 'proper' VM, or wait until NXP release suitable 64-bit drivers.

Hope that helps,
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by annodomini2 on Mon Jan 25 03:29:20 MST 2010
Had another go at this at the weekend, got a little further but not much.

Bascially there is an option in the Virtual PC to connect USB devices into the virtual environment.

When the device re-enumerates you have to reconnect the device in the virtual PC, this causes the Virtual PC to want to reset as the driver doesn't initialise correctly.

On reboot of the Virtual PC the LPC-Link appears correctly in the device manager, however when attempting to connect the process gets stuck at 60% total, 5% of download.

This is using the latest release 3.2.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Terrence on Fri Jan 22 06:05:32 MST 2010
What is the scheduled date for Windows 7 64bit support?
0 Kudos