cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team training with M4 parts

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nachodizz990 on Wed May 20 04:39:00 MST 2015
Hi All, my name is Nacho, i´m the hardware manager in my company and my department it´s composed by 11 persons plus me. We always work with NXP parts.

We are migrating from M3 to M4 and next week i will bring them 11 samples of http://www.embeddedartists.com/sites/default/files/image/product/kit_lpc4088.png

Because i like the M4/M3 assymetric parts and to avoid buy:

this ->  http://www.embeddedartists.com/sites/default/files/image/product/oem_lpc4357_front.png

and

this -> http://www.embeddedartists.com/sites/default/files/image/product/oem_lpc4088_front.png

Will be more simple to get only the oem 4357 and use only the M4 core while they don´t get used with dual core MCU´s?  Since the M0 core remains in reset until the M4 turns it ON by code (and to save a bit of money)

Or will be better buying firstly the 4088 oem and further the 4357 eom since the base board is the same.

To summarize: use only the m4 core with oem 4357 or start firstly with 4088 oem

What´s your opinion?

Thanks and greetings from Spain.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nachodizz990 on Wed May 20 10:27:02 MST 2015
Thanks !!! .

I will bring them the 4357 kit and purpose a training proyect about an industrial automation subsystem with touch screen and GUI graphics , i2s audio , ethernet lwip , CAN - BUS,an SD card for FAT filesystem and some sensors for processing and doing a PID control,firstly with the M4 turned off and after that, with the 2 cores on.

I really know that the time needed to develop the firmware for dual core parts is longer than for a single core.

The inter processor communication of the lpc54xx parts seems to be improved... but i like so much this evaluation boards and i will not spent any time designing a custom evaluation board for us.

The main objective its evaluate the power of M4 ,the pros and cons of dual core parts (time of development, well task asignment...etc) and then decide if dual core or not and what specific part will we use.

We use  lpc 800 series for little applicattions , lpc 1347,1769/1857 and now my idea is reemplace 1857 projects with M4 and get started with SPGIO too.

In other department they work with Cortex A series for image processing  .

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Wed May 20 07:05:31 MST 2015

Quote: nachodizz990
Will be more simple to get only the oem 4357 and use only the M4 core while they don´t get used with dual core MCU´s?  Since the M0 core remains in reset until the M4 turns it ON by code (and to save a bit of money)

Yes, on LPC43xx you can completely ignore the Cortex-M0 core if you don't use it. If you want to use the LPC43xx in your final product it doesn't make sense to start with an LPC4088, because the peripherals are quite different.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mysepp on Wed May 20 05:14:16 MST 2015
Hi Nacho,

can you tell a bit what you will do with the controllers? Which peripheral do you want to use?
Which M3 have you used before? Have you already checked what has changed between M3 and the new one,
so you can estimate how big the task of migration will be.

Have you already checked errata, if some of them will influence your development?
The erratas of LPC4357 and LPC4088 affect different peripherals, perhaps it will be easier to use the one or the other
without doing big workarounds.
Usually you can't select which revision of the chip you get when you buy single chips or eval boards.
Have you checked availability of the controllers in the package you want to use?

Best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos