cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JLink Firmware for LPC55S69-EVK

idonxp
Contributor I

Hi,

As I understand, in order to run and debug an application on LPC55S69-EVK using gdb, the J-Link firmware needs to be flashed first using lpcscrypt.

Unfortunately, the latest lpcscrypt only includes an old J-Link firmware from 2016, which apparently is not compatible with ARMv8-M.

The getting started pdf includes a screenshot showing a newer firmware version from 2018, but I suspect an external debugger was used there. Is there a newer J-Link firmware available for the on-board LPC-Link2, which can be flashed with lpcscrypt?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
9 Replies

brucemckenney
Contributor III

Segger just updated their firmware and it now appears to support the LPC55S69-EVK. Observed behavior: You want the LPCXPresso ("OB") firmware not the LPC-Link2 firmware.

I wasn't able to get the CMSIS-DAP firmware to work (LinkServer could never find it), so this is a big improvement for me, notwithstanding the "nag screen".

0 Kudos

danielbujak
Contributor III

Hey Bruce,

I'm running into the same issue on the LPC55S69. Could you or someone else clarify if it's possible to use the onboard Link2 debugger to debug ARMv8 architecture? When I flash the J-Link firmware using the LPCScrypt tools I'm getting the warning about not supporting v8.

Where did you get the LPCSXpresso OB firmware and how did you flash it? Or, did you end up using a SEGGER J-Link?

0 Kudos

brucemckenney
Contributor III

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I started here:

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/lpc-link-2/ 

There's a link to "Firmware_LPC-Link2" about halfway down. I used "Firmware_JLink_LPCXPressoV2_20190509.bin", though it looks like there's a newer one. This replaces the copy in the LPCScrypt "probe_firmware/LPCXpressoV2" folder. (Move the original somewhere else -- as I recall the .CMD file looks using a wildcard.)

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I described how to program the on-board debug circuit of the LPC55S69-EVK as a J-Link in Internal and External Debug Options for the NXP LPC55S69-EVK Board | MCU on Eclipse , see section "Reprogramming the NXP LPC-Link2 as SEGGER J-Link".

I hope this helps,

Erich

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You can use either On-board debug probe (LPC4322 “Link2”) or external debugger prob to debug LPC55S69-EVK board.

1. For On board Link2 debug prob, connect on board J6 USB debug connector.

If you want to update on board Link2 firmware, you need use  LPCScrypt.

LPCScrypt v2.1.0 | NXP 

2. For external debugger, we recommend:

• LPC-Link2 (OM13054) debug probe from NXP or Embedded Artists

• SEGGER J-link probes (version 9 and older)
• P&E Micro probes
• Keil ULINK2 probes
• IAR i-Jet probes

For more information about LPC55S69-EVK board usage, please refer UN11158.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

davidcomer
Contributor I

SEGGER J-link probes (version 9 and older)? Are you sure that shouldn't have been " SEGGER J-link probes (version 9 and later)"?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, you are right.

I will feed back to document team.

Thank you for pointing out the typo.

Have a nice day,

Jennie

0 Kudos

idonxp
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I was referring to option (1), and as I mentioned LPCScrypt v.2.1.0 seems to include an old J-Link firmware for the LPC4322.

As a result, J-Link GDB server bails out with an ARMv8-M incompatibility error message.

Assuming that's indeed the issue, is there a newer firmware available which is compatible with ARMv8-M?

Thanks,

Ido.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ido,

On board Link2 debug prob Jlink firmware doesn't support LPC55S yet.

This is mentioned in UM11158

pastedImage_2.png

Please use CMSIS-DAP instead which is supported by LPCScrypt.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos