cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with NXP MCUs

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by normnet22 on Fri Oct 24 04:41:13 MST 2014
First post.
I have many years programming experience with PIC18's in Basic and several months in C.
I have found the limits for both audio and graphics and wish to use a higher speed MCU.
The 200 MHz PIC32MZ is a new product and reportably isn't quite ready.

Is the LPCXpresso IDE and the LPC Link 2 combination doable as a starting point with NXP or should I consider a more basic MCU?
Is the LPC43xx series considered stable and ready for prime time?
Which of the 2 LPC Link 2's is compatible with LPCXpresso IDE?

Norm
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by normnet22 on Wed Nov 12 06:17:29 MST 2014
The line of which you speak:
arm-none-eabi-size "LPC4370_LEDblinky.axf"; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary "LPC4370_LEDblinky.axf" "LPC4370_LEDblinky.bin" ; checksum -p LPC4370 -d "LPC4370_LEDblinky.bin";
occurs during the build.
After the build I then right click the "LPC4370_LEDblinky.axf" >Binary Utilities>Create binary as noted in the post #8 link.
The following 2 files appear as a result:
LPC4370_LEDblinky.bin
LPC4370_LEDblinky.bin.hdr

Does the CMSIS_LPC43xx_DriverLib belong in Project Explorer where it is?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeSimmonds on Wed Nov 12 01:37:38 MST 2014
Look at the line after the 'post build steps' in your screenshot.

You need to remove the '#' from this command line (to get a raw binary from the axf).

The '#' is a comment character and therefore prevents the 'objcopy' tool from running.

HTH Mike.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by normnet22 on Tue Nov 11 21:07:16 MST 2014
I utilized the binary file: "LPC4370_LEDblinky.bin" in the DFU programmer/LPC Link 2 Configuration Tool however no joy.
See attached screen shot.
Device manager looks good.
No jumpers on Link 2 board for DFU download.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Nov 11 05:36:51 MST 2014
No, you need to provide a binary. See
http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/generating-srec-binary-and-ihex-files
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by normnet22 on Tue Nov 11 05:22:28 MST 2014
I am trying the DFU usb interface for now with my LPC Link2 board.
When attempting to browse for the binary in the DFU programmer/LPC-Link 2 Configuration Tool the default extensions are .bin .hdr .enc
I have built the LPC4370_LEDblinky project and cannot find an extension of .bin .hdr or .enc
Should I use the LPC4370_LEDblinky.axf as it is listed in Project explorer under Binaries?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Nov 10 01:19:29 MST 2014
If you want to target LPC4370, then you will need one board as a target and one for use as a debug probe.

It is possible to download directly to the LPC4370 over the DFU usb interface, but this will leave you with no debug capability.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by normnet22 on Sun Nov 09 22:49:36 MST 2014
I purchased one LPC Link2 intending to use it as the target.
Can I simply program a blinky program to it by its USB connection or does it require a 2nd LPC Link2 to do so?
Is the debugger also the required programmer to the target?

I think I know that it requires both however I am looking for confirmation.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LabRat on Fri Oct 24 14:36:46 MST 2014

Quote: normnet22
What might the difference be between the 2 following LPC Link 2's...

One is sold by EA with EA order number and the other is sold by NXP with NXP order number...

So they are sucessfully confusing customers and distributors  :)

That's an old game, see:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/forum/evalboard-lcpexressoboard-whats-the-difference
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by normnet22 on Fri Oct 24 14:14:12 MST 2014
After learning the basics of the LPC43xx I may try porting some of my previous speed limited projects.
I can draw 8 bit color patterns on a VGA display however the 64MHz 8 bit PIC could only change color every 5th pixel.
Also I can read and write from an IDE HD by use of a microprocessor.
Old IDE HD's are common and so are PC monitors.
Hosting a USB key would be a bit more practical however!

I also have a CY7C1049DV33 10ns 512kbyte SDRAM on a breakout board.

What might the difference be between the 2 following LPC Link 2's:

Embedded Artists EA-XPR-200
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Embedded-Artists/EA-XPR-200/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt%252b8KFoXI7iosT%252b...

NXP OM13054UL
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/OM13054UL/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvcRsgoMFfeP3LpSOTCZIe... 

Thanks for the help
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nerd herd on Fri Oct 24 07:37:00 MST 2014
If you're looking for high speed, the LPC43xx series is the way to go. Along with a fast 204MHz Cortex-M4 core, you will also have another Cortex-M0 core and more connectivity than you'll ever need. LabRat's suggestion is good as it is a very simple setup, however since you will be doing audio and graphics related tasks, will you want nonvolatile storage? Or perhaps, just more storage than just SRAM? If so, I would pick up a flash based part like the LPC4357. It may be overkill and maybe out of your budget, but the Keil MCB4300 is an extremely well  designed piece of engineering and is ready for you to interface with the MCU in anyway you'd want. I personally found it to be a good beginner board to learn from myself. More information here:

http://www.keil.com/mcb4300/
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LabRat on Fri Oct 24 04:55:36 MST 2014

I have many years programming experience with PIC18's in Basic and several months in C.

There's a lot of work waiting...

Is the LPCXpresso IDE and the LPC Link 2 combination doable as a starting point with NXP or should I consider a more basic MCU?

Link2 is a good option, easy and fast....
Of course a simpler MCU would be easier, but sooner or later you have to learn it anyway...

Which of the 2 LPC Link 2's is compatible with LPCXpresso IDE?

A good and easy starting point is to buy 2x Link2 and use one as target (LPC4370) and one as debugger...

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpcxpresso/lpclink2.php
0 Kudos