cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Board with onboard MCU Link Debug Probe

SrinathVelavan
Contributor III

Hello All,

We have built a custom board for one of our designs using LPC55S69 as the host microcontroller. Initally, we were using the MCU Link Debugger for purpose our sdk program debugging. 

Now, we have built the MCU Link circuitry on our custom board using the schematics provided by NXP for MCU link. The issue is when we try to connect the board for debugging, the CMSIS-DAP probes doesn't get recognised by MCUXpresso IDE. I am not able to see the COM port on the Device manager as well. 

Are we missing something? Should we setup the firmware on the LPC55S69JBD64K used for the MCU Link circuitry? If so, how do we do it? Are there any CMSIS-DAP firmware code available? 

Using the MCU-Link Installer to program the on-board debug circuitry doesnot work as the probe doesn't get recognised on the USB. Can anyone shed some information on how to setup the on-board debugger circuitry on our custom board which is based on MCU Link??

TIA

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @SrinathVelavan ,

You have to put the LPC55S69 into bootloader mode and then use the LinkServer software to update/load the probe firmware. It is the same process as with the MCU-Link, see New MCU-Link Debug Probe from NXP | MCU on Eclipse

BTW, we just published an open source design of the debug probe with KiCad which can be embedded in custom board designs: https://github.com/ErichStyger/McuLink-Mini 

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

SrinathVelavan
Contributor III

Hi @ErichStyger ,

Thanks for the immediate response. I have actually tried using the bootloader mode by installing Jumper to Enable ISP mode. But, my issue is the USB is not getting recognised by my windows as well as the probe firmware (PROGRAM_CMSIS.cmd).

Is there any steps that I have to follow to update the USB drivers before I run the probe firmware??

TIA

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @SrinathVelavan ,

no special things are needed: just use the bootloader pin/jumper, then power the MCU. If it is not recognized as USB device on the host, then something is wrong with your design or hardware, meaning that the LPC55S69 is not booting or your USB connection is not correct. Double check your design and verify that your MCU is working properly. If you have added the debug port (I hope so), try to debug the LPC55S69 with the MCUXpresso IDE to verify that the MCU is working.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @SrinathVelavan 

Thanks for your question.

For better help you, let me confirm some information with you.

The target on your board is lPC55s69. And the MCU Link is from nxp or you development refer to MCU-link debugger? How about take a photo about your hardware connection?

"Are there any CMSIS-DAP firmware code available? "

-> Yes, refer to below update firmware:

https://www.nxp.com/document/guide/getting-started-with-the-mcu-link:GS-MCU-LINK  

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

SrinathVelavan
Contributor III

Hello @Alice_Yang ,

Thanks for your response. To clarify on your question:

The custom board has LPC55S69JBD100K as the host microcontroller. So far we were testing and debugging our SDK on our custom board using MCU Link as a debugger through SWD. 

We now have built the custom board with the MCU Link circuitry on board using the MCU Link schematics available on NXP. But, when we try to debug now, the IDE doesn't recognise the debug probes and neither is the USB being recognised as a Port in Device Manager. Hence, we are not able to update the firmware on the MCU Link's LPC55S69JBD64K. 

0 Kudos