Can I easily extend FreeRTOS in the new Kinetis SDK v2.0?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I easily extend FreeRTOS in the new Kinetis SDK v2.0?

peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi,

I'm about 9 months into a new design that was estimated to take about 2 years. I was motoring along learning how to use the KDS 3.0, KSDK v1.2, MQX, and Processor Expert.  I finished configuring some custom test stacks using the FRDM-K64 as the base board. I haven't written any of the application code yet, I've just configured all of the needed components and wrote some device drivers. Now that SDK v2.0 has been released I'm considering making the transition to it now but I can't afford to take a huge time hit. One of the missing features going from MQX to FreeRTOS is the shell but FreeRTOS has a command line interface "FreeRTOS+CLI" which isn't currently in SDK v2.0. I have zero experience with FreeRTOS, can I easily extend FreeRTOS in SDK v2.0 to include the CLI? Or should I just stay with the SDK v1.2 and MQX at this stage of the game? I suspect the drivers in FreeRTOS are better than MQX because it's more widely used. I just don't want to be stuck with an orphaned RTOS and tool set.

Thanks,

Peter

Labels (1)
3 Replies

FreeRTOS_org
Contributor IV

FreeRTOS+CLI is a simple extensible interface designed to use minimum RAM.  It is actually implemented in a single C file that you can easily add to any FreeRTOS application, although although you also need to provide some character input and character output functions as these are not portable. Reference examples are provided for UART, TCP and UDP IO - the latter two being included in the FreeRTOS Labs download.

The only command you get by default is "help", which lists all the registered commands.  There are plenty of examples of how to implement commands, from very simple examples​ to more complex file system or TCP related commands (again the latter two being in the labs download).

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

HI Richard,

thank you so much for collaborating with us.

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos

peterfurey
Contributor IV

Thank you Richard!

0 Kudos