moving from coldfire v1 to kinetis k10

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving from coldfire v1 to kinetis k10

fmanuelsg
Contributor I

Hi, I used Freescale microcontrollers in the past but after some years in the FPGAs world, now I'm a not very familiar with microcontrollers tools and compilers.

For an application I'm considering using the a MCF51JM, but after using the Freescale Solution Advisor, the Kinetis K Series look like to fit better my requirements.

What do I need to develop, debug and flash an application on a Kinetis K Series.

What compiler is most used for these Series? CodeWarrior or Kinetis Design Studio?

What's the license limitation for either CodeWarrior or Kinetis Design Studio?

In case of needing any hardware programmer / debugger, Is my old P&E USB Multilink debugger compatible with the Kinetis Series??

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Manuel.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francisco Manuel Sánchez Gómez,

for Kinetis series we have specialized IDE Kinetis Design Studio.

Kinetis Design Studio (KDS) is integrated development environment for Kinetis MCUs. It is based on free, open-source software including Eclipse, GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) and GNU Debugger (GDB).

In case of this IDE, you can use on-line support at Kinetis Design Studio where we can provide many useful advices.

It is Eclipse Kepler 4.3 - supports Assembly, C and C++ and the code is without size restrictions.

KDS is compatible with P&E Multilink (USB Multilink, Cyclone - Serial Port, USB, Ethernet, TraceLink - USB Port, Ethernet Port, OpenSDA - USB Port), SEGGER J-Link, CMSIS-DAP and Command Line (CL) debugging with GDB and OpenOCD TCL.

If you go to KDS Release Note V2.0.0 Kinetis Design Studio Integrated Development |Freescale All Documentations -> KDS200RN Kinetis Design Studio V2.0.0 Release Notes, page 6 - you can see, if your K10x is supported.

mk10.png

So, if the mentioned information above fulfill your requirements, use the KDS.

CodeWarrior you can try for trial version (with code limitation 64Kb) or you must pay for it.

Of course, you can also use our support at CodeWarrior Development Tools

I´m showing you the main differences between the licenses for CW.

cw.png

Also you can see more at CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers-Eclipse IDE|Freescale

In this case is also supported USB BDM Multilink, J-Link (Segger), Tracelink and more.. CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers-Eclipse IDE|Freescale

I hope it helps you,

Iva

0 Kudos

GarySegal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Kinetis Design Studio (KDS) is a complementary (i.e. free) product that is supported through this community.  It is based on Open Source tools including the Eclipse IDE, GNU compiler and GDB debugger.  There are no license limitations.  You can read more about KDS here:

Kinetis Design Studio Integrated Development |Freescale

CodeWarrior is a line of products for various processor architectures.  CodeWarrior for MCU  uses the Eclipse IDE, GNU compiler and a proprietary debugger for Kinetis.  There are other differences as well.  CodeWarrior Special Edition is available at no charge, but carries a code size limitation for Kinetis devices.  CodeWarrior Basic, Standard and Professional editions offer more capabilities at different price points.  Permanent or annual licenses are available for purchase.  You can read more about all CodeWarrior products here:

http://www.freescale.com/codewarrior

CodeWarrior Development Suites|Freescale (Click on Kinetis K on the left)

and CodeWarrior for MCU

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-MCU10&tid=CWH

The latest and future Kines devices are and will be supported in KDS only.  CodeWarrior should only be consider if you're using an older Kinetis device and have legacy that makes it useful for you.

The Kinetis Software Development Kit (KSDK) is a key part of the solution.  KDS works with KSDK to provide a complete set of device drivers.  Be sure to review KSDK as well.
Software Development Kit for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale

ColdFire uses BDM for debug.  Kinetis uses JTAG.  Depending on the specific model of PE Multilink, it may be usable with JTAG.  Your best bet is to check with PE Micro to find out.  It may be as simple as a cable swap or firmware upgrade.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos

fmanuelsg
Contributor I

Thanks Gary,

As I commented, I have been using FPGAs, hence I own a Xilinx Platform Cable II which is based on the JTAG Interface, should that cable OK for debugging the Kinetis? Would you recommend any debugger instead in case that the Xilinx Cable wouldn't work and the PE Micro could not be upgraded?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos

GarySegal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

JTAG is a complex technology, especially when it comes to debug.  Debugging is a separate scan chain within the device.  Debugger pods are designed to work with a specific family of devices and their scan chains.  JTAG debug headers can vary between device types as well.  In other words, a JTAG pod for a Xilinx may or may not work with a Kinetis.  You'll need to check with your current pod vendor to find out if it can work with Kinetis.

Further, you need to ensure a particular debug pod is supported by the debug tools.  Not all pods work with all tools.  If you're going to use KDS, stick with the pods that have specific support for KDS and gdb.

PE Micro is an excellent debugger pod vendor.  Their USB Universal MultiLink works with a wide variety of products including ColdFire and Kinetis.  If you have a new enough model, you may only need a new debug cable.  PE Micro sells them on their web site.

Segger is another excellent debug pod vendor.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francisco Manuel Sánchez Gómez,

I do not find Xilinx Platform Cable II for ARM Cortex M0.

please, do you look at J-Link?

SEGGER - The Embedded Experts

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos