cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR-K60N512 Quick Start Demo -- Not working

Jump to solution
telant
Contributor II

Let me start by saying this is my first time working with the Kinetis and the Tower system.

I'm working on my senior project and this is also the first time I have to set up my own development environment.

------------

So, I am trying to go through the Quick Start Demo lab (v1.2).

• I've reconfigured the jumpers to match the assignments in section 2
  • I played around with the touch demo, the memory game, and the accelerometer demo (in standalone).
  • After some driver trouble, I was able to install the PE Micro tower toolkit  and followed with the terminal demo (using the toolkit software).
  • Didn't have an SD card, so I didn't test that demo.
  • USB Mouse demo did not work for me.
  • Web server demo worked well.

------------

Now for the software and programming (section 4)

• I installed IAR for ARM v6.10 (eval) and MQX 3.6.2.
  • Enabled ESHDC and I2C0 drivers and rebuilt these libraries with changes made accordingly. No errors.
  • Unzipped the demo files to the MQX directory and followed the instructions for opening that project and building.
  • Downloaded the code to the board.

Section 5, Task Aware Debugging, doesn't work. The MQX dropdown menu is all greyed out.

Now, at this point, I wasn't sure what was supposed to happen. At the moment, there are only power lights. I can't access the webserver. I'm assuming it is supposed to be the initial demo before I flashed it.

Has anyone else gotten this demo to work? I've been going through this quick start walkthrough for a few days now and I can't quite see what I am doing incorrectly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
telant
Contributor II

I think that I may have solved the problem.

Jumper J6 on the K60 board was set to pins 2-3, as per instructions in the Quick Start Demo.

I changed it back to the default pins 1-2 and reloaded the code. All lights lit up on quick start demo, Hello World works correctly. Hooray!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StRob
Contributor III

See Section A.6 Step 5 in the Kinetis Quick Reference Guide: http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KQRUG.pdf

telant
Contributor II

(Sorry for all the information. I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. Also, please tell me if I am truely making an ass of myself. Haha.)

I was referencing the quick start lab located here (code and lab): http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/support_info/TWRK60N512QSDLAB.zip?fpsp=1

However, I did go through and follow the Appendix A instructions in the quick reference user guide to get to the step you suggested.

Since I have the K60, I tried the given choices from the dropdown menu:

TWR-K60N512:
• RAM_128KB (I chose this first.)
• FLASH_512KB_PFLASH

Then, I `Clean`ed, then `Make`ed.

Got some warnings.

------------------------------------

Warning[Lp012]: no sections with name .data included - special symbol .data$$Base (referenced from D:\Users\[username]\MQX3.6\demo\KINETIS512_SC\rev_1_4\build\iar\hello_world\
FLASH_512KB_PFLASH\Obj\startup.o) will be zero
Warning[Lp012]: no sections with name .data_init included - special symbol .data_init$$Base (referenced from D:\Users\[username]\MQX3.6\demo\KINETIS512_SC\rev_1_4\build\iar\hello_world\

Total number of errors: 0

Total number of warnings: 4

Opened the PE Micro Terminal app and opened the serial port.

Clicked `Download and Debug`, the `Go`

Nothing in the terminal, no echo of my text.

[Maybe related, but when I do the last two steps in reverse, I get an access violation error from the terminal. This was a driver issue I brought up in a PE micro service request ticket a while ago. I'm using Win7 - 64 bit, by the way.]

Stepping through in both quick start examples, my code never leaves this line:

while (MCG_S & MCG_S_IREFST_MASK){}; // wait for Reference clock Status bit to clear

(mcg.c -- hello_world

init_hw.c -- quick start demo)

0 Kudos
telant
Contributor II

I think that I may have solved the problem.

Jumper J6 on the K60 board was set to pins 2-3, as per instructions in the Quick Start Demo.

I changed it back to the default pins 1-2 and reloaded the code. All lights lit up on quick start demo, Hello World works correctly. Hooray!

0 Kudos
StRob
Contributor III

Make sure you open the "debug flash". With debug flash loaded, you can only run the demo when you run it in debug mode. If you can run the demo without pressing "download and debug" (or evan without IAR running) you do NOT have the debug flash on your TWR.