Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Port with the FRDM K66F

Jump to solution
PJay
Contributor II

Hello,
I am following the steps documented in "Get Started with the FRDM-K66F" (https://www.nxp.com/document/guide/get-started-with-the-frdm-k66f:NGS-FRDM-K66F) to get serial access to a Windows 10 Tera Term COM port and the hello_world sample being debugged by MCUXpresso.

I have followed the 2.4 PC Configuration described in the Getting Started document. I downloaded and installed the driver.

With the K66F powered up, Device Manager displays under Ports (COM & LPT)  JLink CDC UART Port (COM5). I do not see mbed, nor virtial com, nor OpenSDA listed as I have read in many articles.

With Tera Term COM5 connected and configured as documented in the Getting Started document, I debug the hello_world application, and no output nor input is shown on COM5.

My questions are
1. Can serial output to a Window 10 COM port occur when debugging with MCUXpresso?
2. Do I have to update my OpenSDA software to get this work?
3. Is there some configuration required in the hello_world program to allow the serial input and output through the Windows 10 COM port?

Thank you for your time,
PJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI @PJay 

Please set UART output for the selected project when you importing it, the default is semihost console output.

danielchen_1-1617159519153.png

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI @PJay 

Please set UART output for the selected project when you importing it, the default is semihost console output.

danielchen_1-1617159519153.png

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
PJay
Contributor II

Thank you very much Daniel. 

After receiving your reply, I searched for uart output and found this excellent solution.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/MCUXpresso-IDE/printf-to-UART-Console/m-p/1058262

I wish I had found that earlier.

I tested your solution and the uart_polling example and was successful with input and output from the COM port.

Thanks again,

PJ

0 Kudos