cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading trace data from ETB using AHB interface

seemakumar
Contributor II

Hello All,

How can I read the trace data from ETB on FRDM K64F using a process on the board?

1. Consider 2 processes/threads running on a device, A and B. I want the trace data of to be read by B. Is this even possible? If yes, how can this be done?

2. How can I run 2 processes? Should I use an RTOS? Any suggestions are helpful.

Regards,

Seema

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Seema Kumar

Maybe the following link tutorial from MCU on eclipse could enlighten up your path

Tutorial: Getting ETM Instruction Trace with NXP Kinetis ARM Cortex-M4F | MCU on Eclipse 

The instruction trace guide from MCUXpresso

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/quick-reference-guide/MCUXpresso_IDE_Instruction_Trace.pdf 

The ARM coreSigth ETM  manual from ARM infocenter

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0440b/DDI0440B_coresight_etm_m4_r0p0_trm.pdf?_ga... 

For two processes you can use FreeRTOS, which  MCUXpresso has integrated support. There is plenty of documentation for making a project with this RTOS. 

About the use an RTOS I've found the following link, could you tell if it is useful?

Adding Trace Capability To Your RTOS Application 

Have a great day,
Diego

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

seemakumar
Contributor II

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the response. I have already followed the MCUXPresso trace guide and also the tutorial on mcueclipse. I can download the ETB trace data onto MCUXPresso IDE. 

What I want to achieve is something like on-board trace data access. Of the two processes running on the board, the second process will read the ETB trace data to make some inferences about the first process. It is for a small research project. I am not sure such access is even possible.

Best regards,

Seema

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Seema Kumar,

Currently, we do not have similar examples to your intended application.

Maybe the MCUXpresso trigger mechanism for record specific trace data into the ETB buffer could be useful to you.

As the MCUXpresso IDE instruction trace indicates :

There are three main ways of using the trigger:

trace after – when that the data from the trigger onwards is the interesting information;

trace about — the data either side of the trigger is of interest;

trace before — data before the trigger is the key information.

Please, let me know your following thoughts

Have a great day,
Diego

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

seemakumar
Contributor II

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the response. I had considered this option as my last one. I will work with this for now. Thanks again. 

Best regards,

Seema

0 Kudos

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Seema Kumar

Excellent, it would be interesting if you can share your results later!
Have a great day,
Diego

Note:

0 Kudos