cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pairing failed with Mode1 Level4 security in KW36

nsuresh2
Contributor III

Pairing failed with Mode 1 Level 4 security in KW36

I changed the security mode to LE SC pairing by changing the parameters securityModeLevel, securityModeAndLevel to Mode 1 Level 4 in app_config.c file,

Also, I changed the “leSecureConnectionSupported” as “True” in gPairingParameters in app_config.c file.

After loading this wireless uart software into the target, I tried the following sequence:

Sequence:

• Put the NXP LE in advertising mode
  • Initiate a connection from NXP IOT toolbox

Expected Behaviour:

• The phone should get connected and we shall be able to send data over the air

Actual Behaviour:

• Phone App shows the device as connected and when I tried transferring uart data, the data was not sent to NXP LE.

Took the sniffing log and understood that the “Pairing failed”(PFA) was sent by the NXP LE for the “pairing request”(Reason: Authentication Requirements) initiated by connected phone.

The issue is reproducible always.

One more point I would like to add, I changed the localIoCapabilities in pairing parameters to “gIoDisplayOnly_c”, that time the “passkey request”  method was used in the initiator side, at that time I didn’t face any problem,

In short with LE SC pairing and when it uses “Numeric Comparison” method, the pairing gets failed with reason Authentication Requirements.

Regards,

Naven Suresh

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

xing_chang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi nsuresh2@visteon.com,

Could you please provide some details? The phone model? the project version BM or Freertos?

0 Kudos

nsuresh2
Contributor III

Hi XingChang‌,

Please find the phone model and project version below: 

Phone Model: Samsung S9 (android version: 9.0) and Samsung note 9 (android version: 8.1.0) 

Freertos (Wireless_UART example)

Regards,

Naven Suresh.

0 Kudos

xing_chang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi nsuresh2@visteon.com and mario_castaneda,

The phenomenon I reproduce is the same as Mario. When I connect for the first time, it will fail. There is no problem connecting again.

Which version of IoT Toolbox do you use, could you try it with the latest version or this version?

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi nsuresh2@visteon.com‌,

I ran some test with the last version  5.0.7 and it works without any the disconnection issue.

Please let me know your findings.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

skalyan2
Contributor IV

Hi XingChang‌,

Please find the phone model and project version : 

Phone Model : samsung S9 (android version: 9.0) and samsung note 9 (android version: 8.1.0) 

Freertos (wireless uart example)

Regards
Sai Kalyan

0 Kudos

skalyan2
Contributor IV

Hi Naven,

Many thanks for posting :smileyhappy:

I would like add one more point with respect to the above information, i have tested the above usecase only in samsung S9 (android version: 9.0) and samsung note 9 (android version: 8.1.0) and it is reproducible always in that phones,but not sure if it is reproducible in the other phones,Please do consider this point, if not reproducible in other phones,please try in Samsung S9,Samsung Note 9.

One more issue i face which is posted here in this link https://community.nxp.com/message/1171538

Since both are related to pairing,may be we can have both the issues in this one question.

I request to kindly get back to us on this two issues asap.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards

Sai Kalyana Raman

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Naven,

I tested by my side using a Samsung S9 and other Android devices version 9, and the first time that the android wants to connect the process is not a success. I tried to connect again, and it works.

I am running more test, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

nsuresh2
Contributor III

Hi mario_castaneda,

Thanks for your update and waiting for your reply.

As I mentioned above please note, I changed the “leSecureConnectionSupported” as “True” in gPairingParameters in app_config.c file and I changed the localIoCapabilities in pairing parameters to “gIoDisplayOnly_c”

Regards,

Naven Suresh.

0 Kudos