cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSDA standalone hardware

Jump to solution
andrewalbing
Contributor I

I am developing on a Freedom KL46Z board and am wanting to be able to transition over to a custom PCB.  I would like to keep the simplicity of the Mbed tool chain, but I am not sure how to go about programing the microcontroller once it is soldered onto my PCB.  The PCB I am designing is very space constrained but I figure I can run a few traces for a programing/debug port.  Is there a way I can reuse the OpenSDA hardware from the development board to program the MCU on my custom PCB?  Is there some other tool that would do this (preferably under $100)?  Am I even approaching this with the correct mindset?

Note: For simplicity I am using the same MCU from the development board in my custom PCB.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Andrew:

Kai Liu is correct, you can use the OpenSDA on FRDM board to program your custom board. You need to populate the J11 header, and take the signals from there. You will use the Serial Wire Debug signals (SDIO, CLK) coming from the K20 OpenSDA.

But then effectively both MCUs would be in parallel, so to avoid collision cut the trace under J18 in the KL46 Freedom board.

Please be aware that with this you should be able to program the MCU on your custom board, but not to debug. For your reference you may want to check the next tutorials by colleague Erich Styger:

Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer | MCU on Eclipse

Debug External Processors with USBDM and Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrew,

There are some good suggestions that been provided from Kai Li and Jorege and they're worth considering.

In FRDM-KL46 User's Manual, it has mentioned how to use OpenSDA interface to program off-board MCU, please refer to it for details.

Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

kai_liu
Senior Contributor I

of course you should be able to use on board debugger, swddio, swdclk, gnd are enough. for contact, you can use pogo pins.

0 Kudos
andrewalbing
Contributor I

Would that mean having both of the MCU's connected in parallel?  Also, isn't that the Serial Wire Debug port, rather than the OpenSDA port?

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Andrew:

Kai Liu is correct, you can use the OpenSDA on FRDM board to program your custom board. You need to populate the J11 header, and take the signals from there. You will use the Serial Wire Debug signals (SDIO, CLK) coming from the K20 OpenSDA.

But then effectively both MCUs would be in parallel, so to avoid collision cut the trace under J18 in the KL46 Freedom board.

Please be aware that with this you should be able to program the MCU on your custom board, but not to debug. For your reference you may want to check the next tutorials by colleague Erich Styger:

Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer | MCU on Eclipse

Debug External Processors with USBDM and Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez