cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux not supported?

Jump to solution
matssoder
Contributor I

I am evaluating various 32-bit CPU:s for a project.

I bought a TWR-K60N512 kit to be able to evaluate the K60 MCU.

Now it seems like this kit does not support Linux as the host OS.

For CPU:s from ST, NXP, Atmel, Microship and TI have i always found some step-by-step instructions that have enabled me to build the first "hello world" or "blinky" application within a few hours. But for Kinetis i have now spent >10hours without managing to download a single byte to the CPU.

Is Freescale so much involved with Microsoft/IAR/Keil that they have chosen not to support Linux+GCC?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

Our IDE software CodeWarriorv10.2offers a Linux compatible version, however if what you are looking for is direct Linux support in the core I'm afraid we do not offer it since it is a microcontroller and not a processor. Unfortunately the Linux platform support will not be added in further CodeWarrior for microcontrollers versions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JuanAlbertoAran
Contributor I

You won't be able to boot Linux on a TWR-K60N512, I don't think it has enough memory. You should chek what the guys at EMCraft have done with the K70uClinux for Kinetis K70

http://www.emcraft.com/index.php/products/95

They have open-sourced their port of U-Boot and UCLinux

http://www.emcraft.com/index.php/products/95

0 Kudos
matssoder
Contributor I

I think there is some confusion...

Im NOT trying to run Linux on the K60...

I am trying to run Codewarrior on my Linux PC and then download my code to the K60 to be able to evaluate the performance.

It seems like Codewarrior does not work correctly under Linux (or more precisely, there is something wrong with the permissions for the driver for the on-board-debugger).

0 Kudos
mattcole
Contributor I

I'm having the same issue (repeatedly, for months...).  Did you resolve this?

0 Kudos
apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

Our IDE software CodeWarriorv10.2offers a Linux compatible version, however if what you are looking for is direct Linux support in the core I'm afraid we do not offer it since it is a microcontroller and not a processor. Unfortunately the Linux platform support will not be added in further CodeWarrior for microcontrollers versions.

0 Kudos
matssoder
Contributor I

Hi and thanks for the answer.

CodeWarrior v10.2 does not work with the TWR-K60512 under linux.

I am not planing to run Linux on the MCU. My application might even be as trivial as a while(1)-loop in main().

But our development-PC:s runs Linux.

0 Kudos
ggorlik
Contributor I

Pedro,

are you saying that codewarrior will no longer support linux?

0 Kudos