cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL16 I2S Master Mode - Generating Clock Signals

lancebantoto
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using the MKL16Z256VMP4 as an I2S master. Can it generate the following synchronized clock frequencies?

1. SAI_TX_BCLK 3.072 MHz
  2. SAI_TX_FS 48 kHz
  3. I2S_MCLK 6.144/12.288/24.756 MHz

I have read through the KL16 Sub-Family Reference Manual Rev 3.2 but am unsure of how SAI_TX_FS is configured.

Thanks in advance!

Lance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Lance,

Due to the requirement, the bit clock is 3.072MHz with Transmitter frame sync frequency 48KHz.
3.072MHz/48KHz = 64
So, the data frame need contain 2 words, each word contains 32 bits.
I2S0_TCR4 register [FRSZ] = 0b1; [SYWD] = 0b11111;
I2S0_TCR5 register [WNW] = 0b11111; [W0W] = 0b11111;

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lancebantoto
Contributor I

Thank you.

Why does the data frame need to contain 2 words?

Can this frame sync frequency be used as a clock output when no data is being transmitted or received? This application just needs these three synchronized frequencies to be output.

Lance

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Lance,

I am checking with this issue. I will let you know soon.

Thank you for the patience.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

lancebantoto
Contributor I

Thank you!

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Lance,

Sorry for the later reply.

The frame sync clock will based on SAI Transmit Configuration 4 Register (I2Sx_TCR4) [SYWD] bit about active level bit clock number. When, set data frame with 2 words, each word 32 bit, the total frame sync signal bit clock is (32bit active level + 32bit inactive level, total 64bit ).

When customer need just three clock signals output, it need to continue to transmit the data output(whatever the data value). So, there need to use DMA engineer to move data to SAI Transmit Data Register (I2Sx_TDRn) continuously.

We are curious why customer consider this kind of application of SAI module.

We also suggest customer to use PTC3(CLKOUT) pin to output the I2S_MCLK clock(OSCERCLK) ;

using two TPM modules to output SAI_TX_BCLK clock and SAI_TX_FS clock.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

0 Kudos

lancebantoto
Contributor I

I2S Configuration.PNG

Hi Ma Hui,

I am trying to use the MCU as the I2S master as shown in the diagram above. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos