Input model of UART1 RX on KL15

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input model of UART1 RX on KL15

ryanlush
Contributor IV

I have a 3.3v XMega talking to a 3.3v KL15 over UART1 with a 1k series resistor between the two. On some units, when the XMega drives TX low the KL15 sees about 2v on the RX. If I remove the 1k series resistor the KL15 sees 0V on the RX. If I disconnect the KL15 RX and put a 10k pull-up on the XMega TX it has no problem driving it to 0v.

But this is only on some units. Other units work just fine with the 1k series resistor. The RX on the KL15 goes to 0v. 

I didn’t chose the 1k and I don’t think it needs to be there but I would still like to understand what’s going on inside the KL15 that clamps Vin-low to 2v. Why don’t all the KL15’s work this way? 2 identical units, same code, a difference of 2v.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Besides, I don't know, why you series 1K resistor between KL15 UART pin and your XMega? Actually, you don't need to add this resistor. From your description, your XMega internal pull resistor may also weak.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ryan Lush,

Do you enable the internal pull up in the UART RX PORT register?

Actually, the internal pull up resistor is weak, it is about 20K~50K, so, to work strongly, it's better to add external 10K pull up resistor.

Your problem should caused by the weak internal pull resistor. And from your test result, you also can find, if you add the external pull up resistor, it works OK.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos