cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate CRC HW performance

jschepler
Contributor III

Hi all,

I am using a K64F processor and I am currently performing CRC's through software.  I would like to evaluate the performance of the CRC through hardware and compare it to the software version.

To do this, I am using the Cycle Counter in SWO Counters in MCUXpresso.  Is this the correct way to compare the two versions?

The results of my testing show that my software-implemented CRC calculation actually takes 100 less cycles than the hardware version.  

I am using a lookup table for the software-implemented version.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I think using the Cycle Counter in SWO Counters in MCUXpresso is the correct way to compare the two versions.
This function is able to measure the number of cycles between break points.

I am refer ARM SWO Performance Counters , measure the CRC-16/CCIT-FALSE(line 197 and 198) of crc example in MCUXpresso SDK_2.4.1_FRDM-K64F. That hardware-implemented CRC calculation takes 201 Cycle counter(120MHz).

CRC-16 CCIT-FALSE.png

Would you please show us the software and hardware CRC function measure result images?
Maybe you can attached your test project here, so that we can check it.

Best Regards,

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos