Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM PLatform problem with demo apps

Jump to solution
steveharper
Contributor II

Hi

I am new to this development system/environment so I am feeling my way a bit.

Opened up the package yesterday for the first time. The OOBE sample app (LED,Accelerometer,touchpad app) was running OK on first power up.

I left it connected whilst I downloaded & installed CW and the PE OpenSDA drivers.

I also copied the MSD Flash Programmer app to the bootloader drive as per instructions in the QSP documentation.

Some time during this process, the original sample app pre-loaded on teh board stopped working.

I have found the pre-compiled sample apps in the QSP and can copy the .srec files to the device (drive) OK, but only 'some' of the apps work.

The blink_blue app works as does the accero_i2c_rgb app but the OOBE app doest work - it doesnt work at all so I dont know if I have knackered the board or the

comms to the device are flaky or if there is something version incompatability between by board and the sample app as included in the precomplied apps in the QSP

It seems to copy OK but doesnt see to run.

I'd like to be certain I have this bit working before I go on to find out how to copile and run sample apps from source.

What am I doing wrong?

BTW I've tried 2 versions of the MSD Flash Programmer app - MSD-FRDM-v105.SDA that was in teh QSP package and the (later?) MSD-FRDM-v112.SDA I found on the freescale website.

it didnt make a difference.

TIA

Steve

Labels (1)
1 Solution
steveharper
Contributor II

Hector,

Many thanks for your help and sorry for the slow response - I've been away. Having come back to this from vacation, I tried again *without changing anything* (except restarting my PC).

I was immediately able to reload the MSD application. I also found thereafter that I could load any and all the pre compiled demos inc the OOB demo.

The only slight difference is that I waited for a several minutes after copying the MSD .SDA files before power cycling the board - I guess maybe before I wasn't wating long enough for the bootloader to process the .SDA file? I have also loaded the debug .SDA file and found the PEMicro Debug driver is thereafter loaded by Windows. I have now been able to drive the board from CW.

I am slightly worried that I am not certain why it wasnt working before, but at least now I have been able to write some demo code and get it running on the freedom board - happy days!

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

View solution in original post

8 Replies
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Hi Steve,

Can you provide us with the device you are using to make this test?

Best regards,

Hector Sanchez

0 Kudos
steveharper
Contributor II

Hi Hector,

Thanks for helping. Not sure what you are asking for, but.....

I am using a newly purchased, fresh out of the box Freescale Freedom Platform - FRDM-KL25Z directly connected via USB to my development PC running Win 7 Professional.

The Freedom platform has a sticker with '700-27566 REV A' on the back.

BTW I can see that each of the .srec files are the same size when copied to the MSD 'device' as they are on my PC  ... some of them work, some dont!

As a further update / second problem, CW doesnt see the board. I dont think the debug USB driver is installing properly

In Device maanger I can see the the board USB port is enumerated every time I connect the board to my PC as 'OpenSDA CDC Serial Port... (COM13)'.

From reading around, I only seem to have the Jungo->WinDriver visible in device manager and not an OpenSDA debug driver.

I've tried copying the DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_V102.SDA file on to the device in 'bootloader' mode and also tried the later V108 file. It makes no difference.

Steve

0 Kudos
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Steve,

I will attach a Quick Start Package to this reply.

I can see you still need to install the P&E OpenSDA USB driver ;The installer is probably on your CD, if not you can follow the website included in the Quick Start Guide PDF inside the zip, here you can find examples and OpenSDA applications, try to use the FRDM_KL25Z_OOBE_Demo inside, if that does not work the problem is you need CW to update the firmware of your board and to do this we need the P&E Drivers first.

I recommend to follow the Quick Start Guide steps, specially the section "Installing Drivers and Running the Out of Box Demo", these steps are inside the PDF on the attached zip.

Keep me informed if you get stuck in a step or if the problem persist.

Hector Sanchez

0 Kudos
steveharper
Contributor II

Hector,

Thanks again for the assistance but I am afraid things have now got worse!

The QSP you attached is exactly the same as the one I have as far as I can tell, however, .

I started again (without deinstalling CW etc), but I didnt get any positive progress.....

When in Bootlaoder mode, clicking on SDA_INFO.HTM gave me the following via the P&E Micro site...

Board Name is: FRDM-KL25Z
MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05
Bootloader Version is: 1.09
Installed Application: PEMicro FRDM-KL25Z Mass Storage App
Application Version is: 1.09
DUID is: 74823937-473181E1-3744C808-B678E678
EUID is: 6AE3D036-A84B876B-1843AA1B-948168D6
TUID is: 74823938-473281B4-3753B81B-B78AE678
TOA is: 86B6E505-FFA23F97-41E6B687-1D814581
TOA2 is: 86B6E505-8EA3ECCD-CDE430D7-BFE078B5
SUID is: 86B6E505-6C47A61D-37239804-8003EC65

Interestingly, the MSD app version is 109 but the one in the QSP is 105? I tried updating the MSD app (copying it to the bootloader drive) to the one in the QSP (105) and also a later version (112) from the P&E website. Neither work, that is to say, the file is copied onto the 'bootlaoder' drive but when I restat the board, the version remains at 109. In the same way copying the the debug app doesnt load either.

I next tried deleting the OpenSDA CDC Serial Port.driver from my system and reconnecitng the board and updating the driver from the FRDM-KL25Z drive as per the QSP instructions.

I then tried copying the Debug App. I noticed the green LED on the board was flasshing a 'code' of 7 flashes. After disconnecting and reconnecting the FRDM board, the "OpenSDA CDC Serial Port.driver" had disappeared!! In bootlaoder mode the P&E Micro site now says:

Board Name is: FRDM-KL25Z
MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05
Bootloader Version is: 1.09
Application Version is: 0.00
DUID is: 74823937-473181E1-3744C808-B678E678
EUID is: 6AE3D036-A84B876B-1843AA1B-948168D6
TUID is: 74823938-473281B4-3753B81B-B78AE678
TOA is: 86B6E505-FFA23F97-41E6B687-1D814581
TOA2 is: 86B6E505-8EA3ECCD-CDE430D7-BFE078B5
SUID is: 86B6E505-6C47A61D-37239804-8003EC65

No attempt to laod futher applications via the bootloader drive seems to work.

Clearly I've deleted the MSD app and cant laod a newer one!!! nor can I load the Debug app.

I guess I am totally screwed unless I can find out what the '7 flashes' code means?????

Steve

0 Kudos
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Also, read this PDF , it shows the status when the led is blinking, looks like the bootloader is having errors

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/OPENSDAUG.pdf

steveharper
Contributor II

Hector,

Many thanks for your help and sorry for the slow response - I've been away. Having come back to this from vacation, I tried again *without changing anything* (except restarting my PC).

I was immediately able to reload the MSD application. I also found thereafter that I could load any and all the pre compiled demos inc the OOB demo.

The only slight difference is that I waited for a several minutes after copying the MSD .SDA files before power cycling the board - I guess maybe before I wasn't wating long enough for the bootloader to process the .SDA file? I have also loaded the debug .SDA file and found the PEMicro Debug driver is thereafter loaded by Windows. I have now been able to drive the board from CW.

I am slightly worried that I am not certain why it wasnt working before, but at least now I have been able to write some demo code and get it running on the freedom board - happy days!

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

You can download the newest version of the MSD files and the debug here:

P&E Microcomputer Systems

0 Kudos
hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

While i do some research try this:

1.- Reinstall the P&E OpenSDA drivers and try to load an example from the CW folder, you can find this folder in:

(HardDisk):\Freescale\CW MCU v10.4\MCU\CodeWarrior_Examples

2.- Follow the steps in the "Updating the OpenSDA Firmware" PDF that is attached to this reply (i still have the v1.05).

Keep me informed,

Hector Sanchez

0 Kudos