cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-K22F core

alex_p
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm new to NXP MPUs and am having trouble figuring out the exact ARM Cortex core inside the FRDM-K22F dev board. Some of the descriptions I've seen around state its Cortex M4F, while others say its Cortex M4 (no FPU). Can someone clear this up for me?

A follow up: is there a common naming convention in the NXP world of MCUs (besides the flash size), like the 'F' referring to floating p. unit?

2 Replies

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Erich's right about the core.  More generally on the topic of NXP's naming, watch out - I think the marketing people must win out over the engineers on this stuff sometimes.  The MK22FN512 and the MK22FN1M0, for example, sound like they'd be the same part with different memory configurations - that's been the convention for most parts I've used over the last 20+ years.  They're not, though.  They're different generations and the 1 meg part doesn't have HSRUN or the crystal-less USB oscillator, and the flash memory configuration is quite different from the 512k part.  It's actually part of the K21F120 line.  The only semi-obvious thing in the documentation to suggest that is the recommended development board.

Scott

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The K22 on the FRDM-K22F has a single precision floating point unit present, is it is a ARM Cortex-M4F. You are right: M4F is sometimes not used consistently in the industry, as it is a Cortex M4 with an optional floating point unit. So the single precision floating point unit can be present or not. In any case, I would have a look at the data sheet to be sure as the device ID itself might not be enough to identify the architecture/core (M0+/M4/etc) and what features are implemented.

I hope this helps,

Erich