Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device architecture in startup

Jump to solution
darnaiadam
Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I'd like to make my own bootloader for frdmk64 dev. board, and I saw that in the SDK startup, that is take place in /platform/devices/MK64F12/GCC/, the architecture is defined as ARMV7-M instead of ARMV7E-M. I'm not really sure about the effects but if I'm right, the ARMV7-M is for Cortex-M3 core and ARMV7E-M is for Cortex-m4. Can you please tell my the difference between them, and the reason, why is the wrong architecture included?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The Cortex -M3 and Cortex-M4 processors are two of the products in the ARM  Cortex-M processor family. The whole Cortex-M processor family is shown in following figure.
The Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M4 processors are based on ARMv7-M architecture.
So the startup files is suit for the K64.

2016-09-28_11-26-46.jpg

Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The Cortex -M3 and Cortex-M4 processors are two of the products in the ARM  Cortex-M processor family. The whole Cortex-M processor family is shown in following figure.
The Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M4 processors are based on ARMv7-M architecture.
So the startup files is suit for the K64.

2016-09-28_11-26-46.jpg

Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!