cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect multiple peripherals to Flexbus through FPGA

guitardenver1
Contributor I

Hello,

I have a question about the NXP Flexbus on the Kinetis MCUs. I would like to connect the MCU to an FPGA through a high speed bus that is addressable in the MCU.

I would like to make custom peripherals for the MCU to access and extend the MCU ram and flash. How much support is there for this? Can this be done? I'm only wanted slave devices on the bus.

My question is:

* Is there good HDL support already out there for this? HDL to connect MCU to FPGA and HDL to connect peripherals to the flexbus internal to the FPGA?

* Are there HDL for many peripherals to connect to the bus in the FPGA?

* Is there support for existing Xilinx IP? Specifically all the peripherals that are available for the MicroBlaze? 

In my head I'm picturing something like this. Is this what the flexbus is for?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

To be honest, I am not quite understand your design to use FPGA as bridge to access external SDRAM and Flash memory.

Kinetis K70 product provides DDR2 SDRAM, external NOR Flash, NAND Flash and external SRAM controller/interface.

Kinetis K8x product provides SDRAM controller and Flexbus interface.

Kinetis product doesn't have this application for your reference.

While, the ColdFire product MCF54455 evaluation board has the similar application, which using Flexbus connects with external FPGA and CPLD chips.

pastedImage_2.png

More detailed info, please check below link:

MCF54455 Evaluation Board|NXP 

I also attached M54455EVB board FPGA/CPLD source code for your reference.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos