Basic question regarding Ethernet and IP Stack.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question regarding Ethernet and IP Stack.

Jump to solution
danif
Contributor I

Freescale offers ARM Cortex M4 microcontroller with dual speed 10/100 Mbps Ethernet MAC. What is the benefit of that?

Also if a controller like ARM7TDMI from Atmel don't have Ethernet MAC support inbuilt, can we still have access internet to upload the data through tcp/ip.

Where we need ip stack?

A help to clarify the above points will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dani..

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Paul_Tian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Danif

Answer1: The benefit his dual speed MAC is that it can support two ethernet speed(10M/100M). Although 10M ethernet is too old. But there might someplace need such a speed.

Answer2: If a controller has not MAC, I think it cannot be used into a ethernet application.

Answer3: You can find some application example in MQX4.0. After install, you can find some ethernet application in folder: ...\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_0\demo.

Hope my reply can help you.

Best Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paul_Tian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Danif

Answer1: The benefit his dual speed MAC is that it can support two ethernet speed(10M/100M). Although 10M ethernet is too old. But there might someplace need such a speed.

Answer2: If a controller has not MAC, I think it cannot be used into a ethernet application.

Answer3: You can find some application example in MQX4.0. After install, you can find some ethernet application in folder: ...\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_0\demo.

Hope my reply can help you.

Best Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
danif
Contributor I

Paul,

Thanks for your response. The answers are really helpful towards the processor selection for our product in near future.

There is one more question regarding Answer 3  That we need to send the data over the internet to a SOAP based webservice which receive and stores the data into server side database. So to communicate with SOAP based webservcie, what can be the getting started in terms of firmware. Are there any sample code/docs or Appnotes available for this as well?

Thanks.

Dani

0 Kudos
Paul_Tian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Dani

After my checking, I do not find sample code or application notes on SOAP.

Best Regards

Paul

0 Kudos