What is the current Kinetis peripheral configuration tool?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the current Kinetis peripheral configuration tool?

Jump to solution
jscott
Contributor II

Hi,

I've found this KDS --> KDS SDK --> MCUXpresso transition really confusing.  I have been using PE in KDS v3 to generate initialization files, but then I use uVision to complete the project.  Now, I have a new bare-metal project targeting an MKL17Z64xxx4.  This device is not supported in Processor Expert, but PEx has been replaced by Kinetis Expert, right?  KEx Version 2.0 is nice, but it isn't linked to KDS v3, and all it seems to do is configure pins, clocks, and peripheral routing... Where is the peripheral configuration GUI?  

Also, it seems MCUXpresso IDE is recommended for new designs, but after days of waiting for the release, the IDE documentation says nothing about peripheral configuration.  And the MCUXpresso Config tool is the same as KEx.. no peripheral configuration.

In what tool can I configure peripherals for the MKL17Z64xxx4?

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jonathan,

Yes,  so far the MCUXpresso Config tool only support pin and clock configuration ,

the peripheral configuration haven't released , there need some time , sorry I don't know

the current release time .

And now if you want use GUI to configure peripheral, you can choose KSDKv1.3 :

https://nxp.flexnetoperations.com/control/frse/product?entitlementId=123594587&lineNum=1&authContact... 

pastedImage_2.png

Hope it helps

Alice

Have a great day,
Alice Yang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jonathan,

Yes,  so far the MCUXpresso Config tool only support pin and clock configuration ,

the peripheral configuration haven't released , there need some time , sorry I don't know

the current release time .

And now if you want use GUI to configure peripheral, you can choose KSDKv1.3 :

https://nxp.flexnetoperations.com/control/frse/product?entitlementId=123594587&lineNum=1&authContact... 

pastedImage_2.png

Hope it helps

Alice

Have a great day,
Alice Yang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

jscott
Contributor II

Hello Alice,

Thank you for your reply.  That link didn't seem to work, but I eventually managed to find the page and downloaded KSDK 1.3.0.  Now I have a project with a GUI that looks familiar, with the KSDK 1.3.0 peripheral drivers replacing the Kinetis legacy high-level components.

For anyone interested...

As of today, it seems KSDK 2.2 can not be used with PE. MCUXpresso isn't finished, and it only generates v2.2 SDK's, and KEx is just rebranded MCUXpresso.  So, in order to use the peripheral configuration GUI, KSDK 1.3 must be installed and used in conjunction with KDS v3, even for bare metal projects.  The KSDK 1.3.0 Eclipse Update also has to be installed.  Then you have to create a new "Kinetis SDK 1.x Project," point to the KSDK install, and check the PE box.  The peripheral drivers are under "KDSK 1.3.0" instead of "Kineits," but the component inspector windows are pretty much the same.

Software I downloaded and apparently don't need: Kinetis Expert Config Tools, MCUXpresso (IDE, SDK 2.1 and 2.2 configurations), KSDK Project Generator...

IMO not an obvious path from non-SDK KDS and PE...  maybe this is documented somewhere, but I never found it.

randylee
Contributor V

In order to use SDK 2.0 really, you needed the three tools that replace PEx.  Those were starting to release last year about this time with the last one (the peripheral configuration tool) supposed to release last summer.

Without that tool, you're stuck with KDS and SDK 1.3 which isn't a bad place unless it doesn't support your particular chipset.  Then you're lost unless you want to spend a lot of time with the chip manual. if PEx supports your chip, the it's possible to do some fusion of them. See Tutorial: Using Eclipse with NXP MCUXpresso SDK v2 and Processor Expert | MCU on Eclipse 

That NXP hasn't released this last tool yet is interesting.  It's at least 9 months late now.  It not being here makes MCUXpresso unusable for me at least.

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your sharing .

Have a nice day !

Alice

0 Kudos
rhysdrummond
Contributor III

You'd think whatever is replacing PE would be at least as good as PE.  Also you'd expect there to be an import tool for legacy (or soon to become legacy) projects.

Keen to migrate to MCUXpresso, but this is a big deal.

Subscribed to topic...

0 Kudos
rhysdrummond
Contributor III

Looks like the Peripherals Tool might be up!  Coooool.

Check this page.  MCUXpresso Config Tools|NXP 

0 Kudos