Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update KDS compiler

Jump to solution
arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hi,

I have a very big project on KDS 3.2 with SDK 1.3 and my eclipse version is Luna SR2 (4.4.2).

I'm using GCC/G++ 5.2 and I'd like to know if its possible to upgrade it to a newer version, like a 7.x.

I'm not sure if its necessary to inform but I use J-Link Segger to flash and debug.

Regards.

1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First off: that would not be an official tested version, so you *might* run into issues.

Anway, I wrote an article about this a while back which describes the process:

Switching ARM GNU Tool Chain and Libraries in Kinetis Design Studio | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First off: that would not be an official tested version, so you *might* run into issues.

Anway, I wrote an article about this a while back which describes the process:

Switching ARM GNU Tool Chain and Libraries in Kinetis Design Studio | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

arthurpassos
Contributor II

Ok,

According to my console it's using the newest version: 

pastedImage_1.png

Should I be worried about that warning?

It increased 30k on the .bin size and consumed 2k more on the heap (I was with 17K free and now I get only 15K free).

Is there something I could do about it? Also, where can I set the language standard (c++14 or c++17, for example).

Thanks, Erich.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Arthur,

that list with compiler options is part of the GNU MCU Eclipse plugins (see Downloads ). Regardless, you can specify additional options in the miscellanous section. pastedImage_3.png

So you are not missing anything. If you want or need an extra entry in the dropdown, I suggest you log it here: Issues · gnu-mcu-eclipse/eclipse-plugins · GitHub 

About that console message: it looks it is an issue in the most recent gdb, see that thread here:

Debugger plugin issue when I click the "Setp into instruction" 

I hope this helps,

Erich

arthurpassos
Contributor II

It worked, 

The only issue now is the memory problem, but I think that's somehow expected and there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks, Erich.

0 Kudos
arthurpassos
Contributor II

Hi, Erich.

I followed your guide and there doesn't seem to have a problem except that under project properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> Cross ARM GNU C++ Compiler -> ABI Version I can't find a newer G++ version, it doesn't seem to have changed anything. Please correct me if it's not where i should be checking/ changing my compiler version.

pastedImage_4.png

I checked the path, it matches and the version of the compiler has actually updated: 

pastedImage_3.png

Which seems to be updated, right? (the previous gcc reported 4.x).

pastedImage_5.png

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

0 Kudos