Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg:uart on frdm-KL25z on KDS

Jump to solution
surenderreddyga
Contributor I

Hi,

Here I am trying with FRDM-kl25z board, I just opened Hello world existing project, I am trying to print the data on the console. There I found the calls like debug_printf and debug_putchar. But unfortunately I am not able to find any message on the console of the KDS. Are they need any settings for console? Code working fine and debugging also.

Actually How those works?  How to display data on console? As per my study, console is not related to uart.

Can you please provide the basic uart driver code for KL25z? Later I suppose to work with k82, If am clear with this board, then only I can do k82.

Please help me.............

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Surender:

The example projects are usually configured to use a hardware UART channel and that is what debug_printf does. To see the printed messages you need to use the OpenSDA Virtual COM with a terminal software as summarized by colleague David.

That is always the best choice, but if you are interested in printing to KDS console (called semihosting​), please see the next semihosting tutorial for KDS by colleague Erich Styger:

Semihosting for Kinetis Design Studio V3.0.0 and GNU ARM Embedded (launchpad) | MCU on Eclipse

Just notice that you need to change the debug_printf calls to use the standard printf instead.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Surender:

The example projects are usually configured to use a hardware UART channel and that is what debug_printf does. To see the printed messages you need to use the OpenSDA Virtual COM with a terminal software as summarized by colleague David.

That is always the best choice, but if you are interested in printing to KDS console (called semihosting​), please see the next semihosting tutorial for KDS by colleague Erich Styger:

Semihosting for Kinetis Design Studio V3.0.0 and GNU ARM Embedded (launchpad) | MCU on Eclipse

Just notice that you need to change the debug_printf calls to use the standard printf instead.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Surender Reddy Gaddam,

I am currently using the FRDM-K64F but connect applies to the FRDM-KL25Z too.

By default when you connect the USB cable to the FRDM-K64F USB J23 connector it will enumerate as multiple devices depending on which debugger firmware is loaded.  The input/output will use a UART on K64 by default that is connected to the on-board debugger hardware that is connected to the J23 connector.

Debugger Firmware can be found at: OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|Freescale

Usually the enumerate will have a debugger interface, a COM Port interface (used for the example code to input and output data), and optional MSD (mass storage device) device.

On a Windows machine use the "Device Manager" to find what COM port your FRDM-K64F enumerates to.

Then use a terminal emulator utility (Putty, Minicom, Hyperterminal, others) to open the COM Port.

A good resource to check out is online tutorial to walk you through using the tools for the FRDM-K25Z:

Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis KL|Freescale

A good resource to check out is online tutorial to walk you through using the tools for the FRDM-K64F:

Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis K|Freescale

Regards,

David

0 Kudos