KDS and MQX at the moment

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS and MQX at the moment

jorocar
Contributor I

Our company has been working with the Coldfire 53321 designing CAN/Ethernet communications devices for 4 years but due to its heating and low memory problems, we have decided to upgrade to a more powerful and actual microcontroller, and also take advantage of MQX features.

We have bought the FRDM-K64F and we have some questions regarding KDS, CDW10.6, KSDK and MQX:

· Is it posible to create a MQX project in KDS at the moment with a wizard like CW10.6? Or the only way to use MQX and KDS is as explained in Getting Started with Freescale MQX™ RTOS for Kinetis SDK? Do we have to wait until the December upgrade to work like this? (we have new micro, new IDE, new SDK, new middleware so everything that make easier the start is highly appreciated)

· I've read that it's not recommended to design solutions with this SDK as it's a beta, do you recommend us to begin working with MQX and RTOS4.1 and when it's out the official release, change to KSDK? Or should we begin working with KSDK and learn how the SDK works? (We don't know if the KDS peripheral drivers is very different to CW10.6/RTOS 4.1.x, and the advances we may make during this 3 months won't be useful when we migrate to KDS, which is a must in the future as it's license-free)

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

jonothankane
Contributor I

We are in the same boat;  have a project going using an MK64FX512VLL12 and MQX.

Support for K64 MCUs appears good in KDS ... MQX not as well supported but coming.

From what we have read - there is no MQX project wizard - but it's realatively easy to take one of the examples and convert it to a project template, and just import it to create a project.

Perhaps that would solve your problem while we wait for the December release.

Our problems are in doing the actual MQX porting since there is not direct support for the  MK64FX512VLL12 .   Normally I use processorExpert to do a quick CPU change then adjust the MQX code accordingly.

Alas  the MQX library import available for KDS - does not import and give PE enabled libraries..   CodeWarrior PE does not have the VLL12 pinout variant  so I'm out of luck there.

Hope the  sample project conversion idea helps.

JK

0 Kudos