Did you mean: 

Code Execution bug encountered after setting optimization for size -O0d

Jump to solution
joseplluismoral
Contributor II

Hi everyone!

Im using the following setup:

KDS 3.0.0

toolchain: GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors (arm-none-eabi-gcc)

toolchain architecture: ARM (AArch32)

Im working in a custom from scratch bootloader for target KW01Z128 cortex m0+, after setting up the optimization for size in the project options (Project propierties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> Optimization) selecting the size optimization -O0s) I found a problem in the debugging.

In the debugging process I detect that a C line is not executed, if I remove the optimization and change it for "none O0"

The line is "magically" executed.

Here is the problematic optimized code:

153850_153850.pngpastedImage_1.png

I don't know that this is a error produced by the toolchain or KDS.

1-. How can I solve that problem keeping the optimization of size activated?

2-. Do you know if there exists

PS:

After looking for KDS optimization problem posts and reading it:

Problem with code geting optimized out | NXP Community

I have tried the asm("nop"); option but it not solves the problem and the code line optimized is not being executed anyway.

Original Attachment has been moved to: kw01_bootloader_test_bindatafromuart_source.rar

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I wonder these two variable lastFwLenght and lastFwInitPage have been optimized.

please cast them to "volatile" to avoid optimization.

pastedImage_2.png

then I check disassembly code with -Os option. I can see the related code you mention not being optimized:

pastedImage_3.png

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I wonder these two variable lastFwLenght and lastFwInitPage have been optimized.

please cast them to "volatile" to avoid optimization.

pastedImage_2.png

then I check disassembly code with -Os option. I can see the related code you mention not being optimized:

pastedImage_3.png

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

joseplluismoral
Contributor II

ZhangJennie

Many many many many many (infinite...) many thanks, your help has been very valuable to me

It worked like a charm!

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Good to know your problem got solved. My pleasure!

Have a great day,

Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

BTW, My test with your code is under KDS 3.2. for the moment, I don't have KDS3.0 installed.

0 Kudos