Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of PCANBasic.dll

Jump to solution
neffnan
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a S32K144EVB via the CANbus, using a PEAK CAN-to-USB connector. When I try to configure the connection in FreeMASTER, the PEAK option says the driver isn't found.

I've put the .dll in both Windows/System32 and Windows/SysWOW64, per the instructions in the readme from PEAK, and FreeMASTER still reports it can't find it. The installation of the api for PEAK didn't create a PEAK directory, at the top level nor in either Program Files directory. 

I'm running the example CAN model flexcan_and_fm_over_can_s32k14x.slx from the NXP MBDT examples, and using the FreeMASTER project provided, flexcan_and_fm_over_can_s32k14x.pmp.

How can I get the FreeMASTER project to find the PEAK .dll? Where do I put the .dll?

Thanks much.

--Nancy

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello, 

make sure you are using the 32-bit version of the PCANBasic.dll with FreeMASTER. It should be enough to put it to c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder. To be sure, you can also store the DLL in "c:\NXP\FreeMASTER 3.1\FreeMASTER\plugins\can" next to the focpgi.dll file which is the main FreeMASTER-over-CAN plug-in executable.

You can use the Microsoft sigcheck tool to find out if your file is 32 or 64 bit version. In my case, it says:

sigcheck.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PCANBasic.dll

Sigcheck v2.80 - File version and signature viewer
Copyright (C) 2004-2020 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

c:\windows\syswow64\PCANBasic.dll:
Verified: Signed
Signing date: 15:58 11/20/2019
Publisher: PEAK-System Technik GmbH
Company: PEAK-System Technik GmbH
Description: PCAN-Basic API Library, 32-bit
Product: PCAN-Basic API
Prod version: 4.4
File version: 4.4.0.288
MachineType: 32-bit

Regards,
Michal

View solution in original post

2 Replies
neffnan
Contributor III

Thanks, Michal. That indeed fixed it.  --Nancy

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello, 

make sure you are using the 32-bit version of the PCANBasic.dll with FreeMASTER. It should be enough to put it to c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder. To be sure, you can also store the DLL in "c:\NXP\FreeMASTER 3.1\FreeMASTER\plugins\can" next to the focpgi.dll file which is the main FreeMASTER-over-CAN plug-in executable.

You can use the Microsoft sigcheck tool to find out if your file is 32 or 64 bit version. In my case, it says:

sigcheck.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PCANBasic.dll

Sigcheck v2.80 - File version and signature viewer
Copyright (C) 2004-2020 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

c:\windows\syswow64\PCANBasic.dll:
Verified: Signed
Signing date: 15:58 11/20/2019
Publisher: PEAK-System Technik GmbH
Company: PEAK-System Technik GmbH
Description: PCAN-Basic API Library, 32-bit
Product: PCAN-Basic API
Prod version: 4.4