MC56F8014 bootloader how to flash & Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC56F8014 bootloader how to flash & Issues

ES2011
Contributor II

1. We are using MC56F8014VFAE for long time in our inverter project. 

We used to program by serial port through bootloader. Whenever we used to connect custom MCU board by Rs232 to PC, termianl used to show

"MC56F801x Serial bootloader V1.3

Waiting for S-Record file ...."

THen we sent the file & used to program and it used to work

2. Recently we ordered new stock of MCU, when we tried conenting via same setup, no message on terminal comes & we are not able to flash the code

3. THen we done A/B swap test also, interchanged old stock MCU & new stock MCU.

Old stock MCU always used to send the message on terminal, but new stock MCU not sending msg on terminal

4. My guess for this cause may be two things:

a) It seems like in new MCU bootloader is not there

b) or it could be that in new stock MCU has new bootloader like V1.5 which is not compatible with V1.3 bootloader 

5. However bootloader user guide page 11 states that "All 56F801x family are pre-progammed with Serial booatloader application"

a) Is that in new MCU bootlaoder are not pre flashed? Can someone confirm on this?

b) Cna we try to flash bootloader again just to remove this doubt?

c) Downloaded codewarrior for DSP56800E V8.3, 

Click File->New->Precessor Expert examples stationery

clicked on project->Make

d) Now how to put it inside the MCU? Do i have to use PEmicro/JTAG connections? Or can i put it with serial pins of MCU? Can you please guide the process?

6. Second doubt could be new stock MCU has V1.5 bootloader which is not compatible to V1.3 bootloader on which application code is written?

If this could be the case, can you please guide how to reflash old bootloader V1.3?

7. Any other issue may be?

5 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Because you have done swap test, the old stock has bootloader after release from factory, but new stock does not have bootloader. I suppose the new stock does not write the bootloader.

Of course, you can write a bootloader via JTAG with codewarrior for DSP56800E V8.3, but the codewarrior for DSP56800E V8.3 can NOT work on Win 10, you have to get a PC with Win XP.

For the codewarrior for DSP56800E V8.3 tools, you can only use USBTAP to download bootloader to flash via jtag, then use serial port to download application code.

xiangjun_rong_0-1722950383027.png

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

ES2011
Contributor II

Hi Rong,

THanks for your response

1. Have downloaded PEmicro's PROGDSC: https://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320181 Installed on WIndow 10 Pro 64 bit

2. Have customers custom board based on MC56F8014 which I have.

Customer have their s file which I dont have access as of now.

3. Have Miltilink Universal programmer

4. Issue was old stock MCU when we used to connect on PC via UART-USB converter, MCU always used to respond on PC:

"MC56F801x Serial Bootloader V1.3 Waiting for S-record file"

But somehow new lot MCU are not responding with this message.

My suspicion is new lot MCU dont have bootloader into it(not sure on it though)

But I cheked with NXP team that that all MCU have bootloader by default.

5. ANyhow I am trying to program S-file direclty into new lot MCU customer board via Multilink universal by PEmicro's PROGDSC software.

6. After connecting all the hardware, started the PROGDSC, I went into Program-> Erase all modules, I am able to get console message

"Erasing, Module has been erased"

Now have few queries:

A) CUrrently I dont have access to customers S file, I will go their place & check setup there. Just wanted to check, if on trying to erase & getting the message on console, does that mean that new lot MCU has been erased?

WIll now I be able to program S file as well?

Cna you please suggest next steps to program S file

B) Hardware conenction with PEMicro & custom board I have done are below, please correct if I am wrong: TDI, TDO, TCK, N_Reset, GND, TMS, TVCC Customer board is powered by external supply

C) Any other suggestion to try if at customer place I got issur in programming s file?

0 Kudos

ES2011
Contributor II

Thanks for support. We are able to program the MCU via Multilink Universal & progdsc.exe. Few queries though:

1. How is this possible that new lot MCU don’t have bootloader but old lot MCU have bootloader?
Does NXP stopped writing bootloader in new lot MCU MC56F8014VFAE ?

2. Have made below connections to between Multilink Universal & customer board MCUplease correct if I am wrong:
TDI, TDO, TCK, N_Reset, GND, TMS, TVCC
Customer board is powered by external supply

3. Below steps in s/w progdsc.exe I followed, please advise if anything else to be done:
a) Program -> Erase Module
b) Load the s-file
c) Program-> Program Module

4. Also customer file extension is not S file, its .txt file.
When I opened the file it contains data each line stating with Sxxxx (x is numeral)
Is that ok to have S file extension saved as .txt file as well?

5. Also PEMicro forum said: Make sure customer's s file is word addressable.
How to verify it?

0 Kudos

ES2011
Contributor II

Any response on this would he helpful!!!

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Great new,you can program application code to 56F8014 with progdsc.exe tools.

I will answer your question one by one.

Q1. How is this possible that new lot MCU don’t have bootloader but old lot MCU have bootloader.

Does NXP stopped writing bootloader in new lot MCU MC56F8014VFAE ?

>>>>Frankly speaking, we are application engineer, have little communication with factory engineer, I do not know if the MC56F8014 with the new stock has programmed bootloader code after release from factory.

From the phenomenon that the MC56F8014 with old stock can output bootloader message, but the MC56F8014 with new stock can not output bootloader message, I guess that the 56F8014 with new stock have not programmed with bootloader after release from factory.

Q2. Have made below connections to between Multilink Universal & customer board MCUplease correct if I am wrong:

TDI, TDO, TCK, N_Reset, GND, TMS, TVCC

Customer board is powered by external supply

>>>>Yes, the JTAG port uses the above signals

Q3. Below steps in s/w progdsc.exe I followed, please advise if anything else to be done:

a) Program -> Erase Module

b) Load the s-file

c) Program-> Program Module

>>>>the above process is correct

Q4. Also customer file extension is not S file, its .txt file.

When I opened the file it contains data each line stating with Sxxxx   (x is numeral)

Is that ok to have S file extension saved as .txt file as well?

>>>>This is S-Record file data format:

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/focal/en/man5/srec.5.html

If the progdsc.exe tools can recognize the file with txt extension name, it is okay

Q5. Also PEMicro forum said: Make sure customer's s file is word addressable.

>>>>>I suppose that S-Record file data format includes the address information.

xiangjun_rong_1-1723785408620.png

Hope it can help you
BR
XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos