Looking for help on choosing MCU for designing an industrial heating controller.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help on choosing MCU for designing an industrial heating controller.

dtzhou
Contributor II

I'm going to design a MCU based device via SSRs (Solid State Relay) to control multiple channel of AC 220V load which heats some kind of fluid material. The measuring range of operation temperature is from -58 oF to 572 oF ( -50 oC to 300 oC). Could you give some advice on choosing the type of controller and SSR?
Best regards
Datïan

Labels (1)
11 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, DaTian,

I think the LPC1857FET256 is okay, it has ADC, PWM module, Timer..., but the LPC185x is a bit old, it was released in 2013, the longevity of LPC18xx is 10 year. I suggest you use the latest LPC family for example LPC54xxx for example LPC5411x family.

LPC54000|Power Efficient 32-bit Microcontrollers (MCUs)|Cortex®-M4 Core | NXP 

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

dtzhou
Contributor II

Hi, Xiangjun,

LPC18xx really has a fair longevity. I agree that later MUC is easier to start. Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Datïan

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, DaTian,

As you required on-chip Ethernet controller module, as Kamil said, you would better list your requirements so that we can refer to it to select mcu.

Anyway, for your current requirements, I suggest you use Kinetis K64, it has Ethernet controller, ADC, GPIO,Timer...

This is Kinetis K64 link:

Arm® Cortex®-M4|Kinetis® K64 120 MHz 32-bit MCUs | NXP 

You can also use LPC family, for example LPC54618, it has ADC,Timer,Ethernet...

LPC family:

LPC54000|Power Efficient 32-bit Microcontrollers (MCUs)|Cortex®-M4 Core | NXP 

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

dtzhou
Contributor II

Hi, XiangJun,

Thank you very much for your advices. My custom intends to control multiple independent heating equipments by one MCU. Let's say 4 channels current, and 16 channels in a far stage in the future. And ethernet interface is mandatory.

Do you think LPC1857FET256 is suitable?

According to the datasheet, it was writen like that "Configurable digital peripherals: State Configurable Timer/PWM (SCTimer/PWN) subsystem on AHB. Global Input Multiplexer Array (GIMA) allows to cross-connect multiple inputs and outputs to event driven peripherals like timers, SCITier/PWM, and ADC0/1."

Could I config digital peripherals as multiple ADCs and PWMs, such as 4 ADCs and 4 PWMs independently?

Best regards

Datïan

0 Kudos

dtzhou
Contributor II

Thank you for your reminding. The measuring range of operating temperature is from -50 oC (not -30 oC) to 300 oC, but not of MCU.

0 Kudos

mohammad_kamil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Datïan ZHOU may we know what would be operating temperature of MCU. and what other requirement from MCU feature?

With Regards

Kamil

dtzhou
Contributor II

Hi, Kamil,

The operating temperature of MCU is not very clear defined, but beyond 60 oC at least. An ethernet interface is of necessity.

With regards

Datïan

0 Kudos

mohammad_kamil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Datïan ZHOU, if you want to choose the close to right MCU for your application, then you need to first define all the special feature that you look from MCU. Like as you just mention requirement of "Ethernet" is necessary, and such special peripheral not all MCU have. MC56F827xx dont have such peripheral. So i would suggest first list down feature/application requirement for MCU for your application, this will help suggesting you right MCU. 

With Regards

Kamil

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, DaTian,

I suppose that you use GPIO pin to control the Solid State Relay, you use on-chip ADC to sample the temperature of fluid, you use PID or bang-bang controller to control the temperature of fluid.

From the application, the mcu must have GPIO, ADC...., so i think you can use MC56F827xx, which has on-chip GPIO, ADC, Timer.

You can use Timer to generate fixed time interrupt, in the Timer ISR, you can use software triggering ADC, and read the temperature of fluid, determine if the GPIO should be cleared or set.

This is MC56F827xx link:

MC56F82xxx | NXP 

We have the PID library:

Real Time Control Embedded Software Motor Control and Power Conversion Libraries | NXP 

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

dtzhou
Contributor II

Many thanks for your kind help. MC56F827xx looks great. An ethenet interface is of necessity. Would you like to give me some other recommendations ?

regards

Datïan

0 Kudos

mohammad_kamil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you please confirm if operating temperature for MCU also would be  -30 oC to 300 oC?