MCF54418 Ethernet PHY currently supports only one interface configured after startup; i.e., either eth0 or eth1.

取消
显示结果 
显示  仅  | 搜索替代 
您的意思是: 

MCF54418 Ethernet PHY currently supports only one interface configured after startup; i.e., either eth0 or eth1.

854 次查看
nealeckhaus
Contributor I

We recently updated our kernel from 2.6.29 to 2.6.38.  After doing so, we found the Ethernet PHY currently supports only one interface configured after startup; i.e., either eth0 or eth1.

After comparing the kernel build Configuration of linux-2.6.29 and the sources of linux-2.6.29 and linux-2.6.38, it was found that there is no option to enable the shared PHY for m5441x processor in linux-2.6.38. We need to update the kernel configurations and make files and modify code files to support both interfaces.

Has anyone else encountered this and is there a patch or other solution already available?

标签 (1)
3 回复数

656 次查看
yibbidy
Contributor V

HI Neal,

Sorry I can't help you, but I was wondering why you upgraded the kernel from 2.6.29 to 2.6.38?  The reason I ask is that I am restarting a project that had been shelved, and it uses the MCF54418 and will use Linux.  I am interested in finding out the best version to start off with.  I had assumed that 2.6.38 would be best as it is the latest.

Regards, Shaun

0 项奖励
回复

656 次查看
nealeckhaus
Contributor I

Hi Shaun,

Definitely go with the 2.6.38 kernel for the reason you identified.  We started with the 2.6.29 kernel because that came with the tower systems be bought when we started the development effort and did not know about the 38 kernel at that time.  We had a problem with the kernel in which the our processes would appear to stop working for a time, up to 5 seconds sometimes.  It turns out the kernel would, at times, fail to run a process on the run queue.  In Sept. I stumbled upon an archived post on another forum that identified the same problem.  I contacted that poster and found that he had identified the root cause and had a patch for the problem.  At the same time we found the 2.6.38 kernel and upgraded the kernel and applied the patch at the same time.  Our big headache was gone, but these two minor ones developed.

We just recently solved this issue and completed testing.  The FEC driver did not power up the interface once the interface was powered down.

Regards,

Neal

656 次查看
eukeniurkiaga
Contributor II

Hi Neal,

We have the same problem with 2.6.38 kernel and FEC1. Could you explain me how you solved this issue step by step, please. I do not know how to power up the interface again. I am newbie in Linux kernel.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

0 项奖励
回复