MCF51JM128 device doesn't run without programming adapter connected

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF51JM128 device doesn't run without programming adapter connected

ARQuattr
Contributor IV

I'm using a P&E Micro USB Multilink Universal programmer to flash and debug a MCF51JM128 (64pin) device.  I have no issues flashing, debugging, and running the program as long as the programmer is connected, but the program doesn't run otherwise.  If I get the code running and then disconnect the programmer it continues running, but if cycle power or reset it, the program stops.

I have 10k pull-ups on the BKGD and RESET lines, and the oscillator runs normally, but it just doesn't seem to start the code.

Are there any suggestions as to what I might try here?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

ARQuattr
Contributor IV

Through some trial and error I determined that the device will actually run without the adapter connected, provided there are no calls to _time_delay().  This is a new bare board MQX project with the single main task and only some simple GPIO toggling to confirm operation.  It runs out of reset up to the first _time_delay and halts, unless it's running with the Multilink attached.  It's as if the task got blocked right there.

Does that provide any useful clues?

In the meantime, it's ironic that I can't debug this problem as it doesn't occur when the debugger is attached (darn Heisenberg), so I guess I'll look through the MQX code to try to get some further ideas.

0 Kudos

ARQuattr
Contributor IV

I should clarify 'new bare board MQX project' - what I have is a custom board based on the EVB51JM128 board, and in CW it's a new MQX3.6 project using that EVB.

I also tried creating a new 'bare board' project in CW for the 51JM128 device, and with some basic code it runs fine, but of course I can't use _time_delay so I'm not sure if this is significant.

I can't see what's happening in _time_delay or MQX in general that would be causing the operation to halt.  Linker/memory settings?  Compiler/MQX options?  I rebuilt the PSP and BSP also but it didn't help.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos