cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosed my M5234BCC EVB while trying to update dBug firmware

RabbitHoleComp
Contributor II

Hi folks,

Somehow I've managed to perform a bonehead-maneuver and hosed my previously-working M5234BCC when doing a dldbug with a hex file provided on the Freescale website. I now have a business-sized brick :smileyhappy: It appeared to update for a while, and then stalled. There was a little ASCII-animated progress indicator doing its thing, / - \ | , and then everything came to a halt.

I do have a Univelop Coldfire v1.1 BDM, which is based on the MC68HC90, but I'm unable to re-flash the flash or even run hardware tests under CodeWarrior 7.1.1 under either the Flash Programmer or Hardware Diagnostics sections. As I just recently go the BDM, I have never successfully used it yet. I do have the driver installed, and windows sees it as a "Open Source BDM-JM60", but I think I've still got something misconfigured in the CodeWarrior preferences, under Remote Connections. I was hoping someone who has successfully used this BDM with CodeWarrior could give me a pointer or two in the hopes that I might be able to revive my board by re-flashing it.

Below is the output of dBug prior to my frying it. Now it just outputs a single character over and over again, regardless of whether or not I have XON/XOFF turned on or not (which I did when attempting to flash via dldbug, which the instructions told me to do) and regardless of baud rate, etc.

Any help is *greatly* appreciated.

--

External Reset

ColdFire MCF5235 on the BCC
Firmware v3b.1a.1a (Built on Jul 21 2004 17:31:28)
Copyright 1995-2004 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

Enter 'help' for help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

RabbitHoleComp
Contributor II
Okay, upon further research I've definitively discovered that the USB-BDM I have is actually based upon the TBLCF BDM which lots of folks here evidently use. I've even been able to update the firmware on it to v4 from the command line, following the documentation I found on the net (manual_v14.pdf), and I've also been able to set up TBLCF via GDL under CodeWarrior,  but I'm missing one critical component...I can't figure out where the tblcf_gdi.cfg file is. If you google search this filename, you find one guy asking about it in on a German forum, so that leads me to believe I'm not the only one with this problem. I did try to connect without the startup file defined in the "GDI Remote Connection" subsection of the CodeWarrior preferences, but to no avail...I'm muuch closer, but still not able to connect.
0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

You don't need the .cfg file.  As it states in the manual it only sets up one option in any case (USB port number).  I have used TBLCF without this file fine.

I doubt this is the reason it's not working.

The inf file referred to in the immediately above post is the USB driver installation file.  This should also not be necessary as you have indicated that the bdm was recognised as "Open Source BDM-JM60" and USB drivers installed.  The name is misleading but this is because Freescale have an incompatible JM60 based BDM that uses the same USB identifiers (VID/PID).  The lower level USB drivers (libUSB) are the same so shouldn't be a problem.

Have you checked the BDM enable hardware jumper(s) on the board?  These are described in the board manual:

M5234BCC Board's User Manual

bye

Message Edited by pgo on 2009-04-26 10:39 AM
Message Edited by pgo on 2009-04-26 10:50 AM
0 Kudos

RabbitHoleComp
Contributor II

Doh! Well, I hadn't noticed the need for BDM-EN to be switched on...however, I don't seem to have it on my board....the PDF you referenced said it's "Idle" (must be installed to apply BDM cable) but I don't see pads, silkscreening, or anythin on the bottom or top of the board to indicate where this actually is. Am I crazy?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Sorry - Can't help on the invisible BDM-EN. I don't actually have a board, it was just a suggestion.  It is possible that your board is a different revision but it is a bit strange as most processors have a pin that needs to be tied to select between the BDM or JTAG programming interface.

The bdm-en signal appear on the schematic available and connects to the JTAG-EN signal.

The bdm-en link is shown at top-left in the overlay on page 4 of the manual referenced earlier.  Does your board look the same?

bye

Message Edited by pgo on 2009-04-27 11:53 AM
Message Edited by pgo on 2009-04-27 11:58 AM
0 Kudos

ChrisJohns
Contributor I

The BDM Sourceforge project supports the TBLCF pod. The documentation here:

http://bdm.sourceforge.net/doc.html

states:

"I created the axbdm.inf file for the AxBDM pod from Axiom I have. The LibUsb-Win32 package contains a program called inf-installer.exe. To use this program with the pod connected to the computer, run the program then select the pod and fill in the fields."

I suggest you take a more detailed look at the documentation there and get a copy of the LibUsb-Win32 package.

0 Kudos