Freescale USB TAP in codewarrior 7.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale USB TAP in codewarrior 7.1

WOLF
Contributor I
Where did you option to use the Freescale USB tap go in Codewarrior for Coldfire  7.1.

Does anyone know how to get it back?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Black
Contributor I

You can add this CodeWarrior USB TAP connection yourself. Please go to your CodeWarrior menu Edit->Preferences->Remote Connections and press the Add button. Then choose the connection name (for example CodeWarrior USB TAP), Debugger: ColdFire CCS, Connection:USB TAP BDM and leave the other fields with the default values as in the attached screenshot.

0 Kudos

WOLF
Contributor I
Thanks Black,

I was able to add it to my list, I will give it a try next time i get the companys USB tap.

0 Kudos

UK_CF_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I did an uninstall of my various CodeWarriors for ColdFire - 6.3 preview and 7.1, and then reinstalled 6.3 release and 7.1. I can confirm that I experience the same loss-of-USB-TAP after running either version (6.3, 7.1) and then moving to the other one. This is being caused by the non-compatibility of the file Remote_Connections.xml in the Local Settings folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Metrowerks

... and only affects the USB-TAP connection.

A possible workaround is to delete the Remote_Connections.xml file before changing between CW 6.3 and CW 7.1 .

This is best accomplished by writing 2-off "launcher" batch files, one for CW 6.3 and one for CW7.1, which first deletes the Remote_Connections.xml file, and then launches the appropriate CodeWarrior version. If you assign Windows desktop shortcuts to the batch files with the CodeWarrior icon, it will just look like you are running CW normally.

A further enhancement would be to write a run-time variable for the batch file, to preserve the Remote_Connections.xml unless you switch CW versions. Otherwise, you will find that you need to select the USB-TAP in the remote connection every time you use CW, which might become a chore.

Quickest way to do this is with a new environment variable, say CW71 which the CW v7.1 launcher can set to be true as it launches, and 6.1 can set FALSE. Before making these changes, the variable can be tested, to see if the file must be deleted.

... in the 7.1 batch file....
set %CW71% = TRUE

... in the 6.3 batch file...
set %CW71% = FALSE

Unfortunately, these changes will not be persistent unless you have the setx.exe utility installed; the environment variable is not written to the registry with the set command. You can learn more about environment variable persistence, setx, and how to create environment variables here:

[TAGS]
USBTAP USB-TAP missing lost cannot find connection

Message Edited by UK_CF_FAE on 2009-01-16 10:32 AM
0 Kudos

Walker
Contributor I
Citation Freescal Support:

"...The USB TAP 
problem might appear when installing 7.1 over 7.0 or possible 6.4 . A possible conflict with connection preference merge in installer.

One solution would be to delete the contents of the Metrowerks folder ("...\Profiles\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Metrowerks" )
or safely move them in other place as info from them might need to be reused for the new settings ( ip for ETHERNET TAPs.. and so on)

Here is the scenario for the USB TAP issue.
CF 7.1 over CF 6.4/CF 7.0:
        - first run 6.4/7.0 and then CF 7.1 - FREESCALE_USB-TAP connection disappeared from the Connection panel from ColdFire 7.1
        - after that I have deleted the Metrowerks folder and run again CF 7.1 - the issue does not reproduce
        - delete Metrowerks and then run again CF 6.4/CF 7.0 and after that run CF 7.1 - the connections disappear from CF 7.1
        - if I delete the Metrowerks folder and run CF 7.1 and then run CF 7.0 - the connections disappear from CF 7.0

One ideal solution would be that the installer for CF7.1 should first look in the Metrowerks folder and check if a ColdFire Remote_Connections.xml file is there. If exists, the installer should append to that file both Freescale Ethernet TAP and USB TAP connections for the new version. But right now you have to delete the Metrowerks folder as a workaround for this issue..."
0 Kudos