Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABS.S19, PHY, SRecCvt and Log2Phy

Jump to solution
ras44
Contributor II

Hi,

I know this has been asked several times in pieces but I’m trying to get a full concrete understanding.

I’m running CW version 5.2 for MC9S12XEP100, and after compilation it generates the following files:

abs, abs.s19, and abs.glo in the bin directory.

What I think I understand:

abs= is the abs.s19 with debug information. This is “Banked” or “Logical”.

abs.s19=is the just code without the debug information. This is still “Banked” or Logical.

I needed to generate a file that is “linear” or “physical” and the tools that were recommended in online threads were Log2Phy and SRecCvt.

What I don’t understand:

1. I inputted my abs.s19 file from CW into both tools (SRecCvt and Log2Phy) and the results were different. SRecCvt outputted an S19 file and Log2Phy outputted a PHY file, when compared they look nothing alike? The only differences between the tools was that SRecCvt has more parameters in which the user can modify (I left them as default and just made sure that I’m converting from Banked to Linear).
  2. What is the abs.glo file in my bin directory?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Husein

MC9S12XEP100 belongs to HCS12X family. After each successfully build, CW MC9S12XEP100 project will generate two files with extension .s19 and .glo.

.s19 is logical address.

.glo is global linear address.

We can find logical and global address definition in MC9S12XEP100 datasheet memory map.

using SRecCvt tool can convert s19 to glo or vice versa.

.phy is also a type of linear address that is widely used in P&E programmer.

if you use P&E programmer or burning tools, I would say most of them identify phy syntax only. thus we need covert s19  to phy syntax with Log2Phy tool.

in nutshell, you need know which syntax the programmer support , then choose the right burning file syntax.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Husein

MC9S12XEP100 belongs to HCS12X family. After each successfully build, CW MC9S12XEP100 project will generate two files with extension .s19 and .glo.

.s19 is logical address.

.glo is global linear address.

We can find logical and global address definition in MC9S12XEP100 datasheet memory map.

using SRecCvt tool can convert s19 to glo or vice versa.

.phy is also a type of linear address that is widely used in P&E programmer.

if you use P&E programmer or burning tools, I would say most of them identify phy syntax only. thus we need covert s19  to phy syntax with Log2Phy tool.

in nutshell, you need know which syntax the programmer support , then choose the right burning file syntax.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

ras44
Contributor II

Thank you for explaining Jennie.

So basically, SRecCvt and Log2Phy output linear files but different syntax because they target different programmers/burners.

Putting this aside, what would you recommend is the easiest to read/interpret and/or manipulate out of these two output files? The .phy from Log2Phy or the .s19 from SRecCvt?

Also,

From your answer, it looks like that the .glo file in my bin directory is the same file that SRecCvt would generate when converting logical/banked to linear. Right?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Husein,

This relies on the programmer.

For me, I only use CodeWarrior program code. I like using s19 file, because it uses logical address which is easy to be checked in prm and map file also.

>>From your answer, it looks like that the .glo file in my bin directory is the same file that SRecCvt would generate when converting logical/banked to linear. Right?

Yes.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

ras44
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

This discussion was very informative, thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome Husein.

0 Kudos