cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP stack on HCS08

F50SC
Contributor III

Hi All

Has anyone had any experience or know if it is possible to run a TCP/IP stack on the HCS08 core?

If so please answer the following questions.

1. What MCU was used

2. How much ROM/RAM was needed. (barebones with UDP/TCP, SMTP, PING, DHCP protocols)

3. What TCP/IP stack was used.

4. Was an RTOS used with TCP/IP included?

I'm trying to resist a move to a bigger MCU ie 16/32 bit ARM core as I am very familiar with the HCS08 family and don't really have the time to learn a new MCU.

Regards

JP

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

donw
Contributor IV

also check out WIZNET modules  WIZ107, WIZ108, etc

wiznet.co.kr

which provide a simple rs232/rs485 interface to ehternet.

I use them a lot, they work no problems (execpt they are power hungry ~220mA @ 3v3)

don

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Hi Jerome,

I have done it with the S08DZ60 MCU, and using the W5100 from Wiznet. You can find it on my personal website: http://myfreescalewebpage.free.fr/theuno/appnote_webserver/appnote_webserver.htm.

I have not implemented all the protocols, there is only simple HTTP server, but some sockets are available to implement your owns. No RTOS.

Regards,

Joel Guittet

F50SC
Contributor III

Joel, that's excellent.

I'm going to check out your project in more detail....as it looks like Wiznet is the only way to go on the HCS08 core if you want Ethernet connectivity.

0 Kudos

Joel69003
Contributor IV

Thanks for your compliment :smileyhappy:

Yes I looked at various Ethernet devices and I think Wiznet have the best solutions for that.

Regards,

Joel Guittet

0 Kudos

tonyp
Senior Contributor II

It's certainly possible to have basic TCP/IP functionality provided you use a big variant with plenty of Flash/RAM (like the QE128).  This can be for small servers, or telnet configuration, etc.  I'm thinking in terms of assembly language for both code size and speed.  (C inflates things quite a bit, so I can't be sure if it would leave enough room for your app, but it may be possible even in C.  There are several examples on the Net of 8-bit MCUs running TCP/IP for small tasks.)

But you may be better off using a "hardwired" TCP/IP chip like the WZ5100 from WizNet.  It makes things much simpler, and faster than using the MCU for both your app and TCP/IP.  It provides four configurable sockets (from 1KB to 8KB each with 8K total for all four), and does all the work at the TCP/IP level, leaving you with only the actual protocol you want to implement (eg., HTTP).

Hope this helps.

F50SC
Contributor III

Thanks Tony.

I will definitely check out the chips from Wiznet...I realized after posting my question....there is no MAC available on the HCS08 core. You would have to use a 3rd party ethernet module with UART or SPI interface to communicate with the MCU.

0 Kudos