Programming problems MC9S08AC60

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming problems MC9S08AC60

dgipling
Contributor I

I am trying to program a S08AC60 using USB Multilink and CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers.  This has worked fine for my previous projects, but now I have a new project with new hardware.  While starting the debugger it starts normally, but hangs after a while showing "Erasing." in the status window.  When aborting this and trying the Expert Mode Programmer available from the menu in the debugger I am informed that the device is secured and clicks Yes to unsecure it.  Then I am able to to something, but still have problems.  I can erase the module successfully.  If I load a module and try to program it it failes after a small part (about 2000 bytes) of the module is done.  The part that is programmed is programmed correctly.  Any hints are welcome.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Encoder1
Contributor III

I had a similar problem with AC60 and, sometimes with other S08 processors during program development. I used CW6.1 or CW6.3 and PE Multilink running on XP. I initially thought the problem was the PC and especially its speed: in fact the problem was worse with different PC.

Usually the first programming went good but it was VERY difficult to reprogram the device without falling in error principally when the programmer tried to erase the written memory. The problem seemed to become worse and worse and I was quite desperate.

I finally found the problem was some hardware I/O overload in the initial I/O port setup which was unproper and caused too much current sink/source from some pins or a power supply overload. In fact the problem was worse if the power supply was designed with small current margin. This caused the hardware to repeatedly reset by itself at turn on, making difficult to the programmer to take control of the CPU.

From then I am very careful to correctly setup all the I/O to avoid any possible overload just from the first program lines, avoiding as much as possible incorrect, even short period, I/O conflicts (output to output, output to low impedance load and so on) at the beginning of program run.

With these simple cautions, I programmed thousands of AC60 with no more problems.

Salvatore

0 Kudos