MC1321x FLL continuously looses lock when using high frequency range

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC1321x FLL continuously looses lock when using high frequency range

MarcB
Contributor I
I'm trying to increase the clock output of the modem in the MC1321x so that I can use it as clock input for another external MCU. The original setting from the Beekit myWirelessApplication sample code is:

- #define CLOCK_OUT_SETTING   0x7E85 (nv_data.h), which outputs 62.5 KHz out of the modem
- NV_ICGC1 = 0x18 (nv_data.c), which sets the oscillator as low frequency range (FLL loop prescale factor P is 64)
- NV_ICGC2 = 0x20 (nv_data.c), which sets the multiplication factor to 8

So the MCU will run at 62.5 KHz * 64 * 8 = 32 MHz, which is what we want

Now I would like to output 8 MHz from the modem instead. I've changed the above settings to:

- #define CLOCK_OUT_SETTING   0x7E81 (nv_data.h), which outputs 8 MHz out of the modem
- NV_ICGC1 = 0x58 (nv_data.c), which sets the oscillator as high frequency range (FLL loop prescale factor P is 1)
- NV_ICGC2 = 0x00 (nv_data.c), which sets the multiplication factor to 4

So the MCU will run at 8 MHz * 1 * 4 = 32 MHz

The FLL locks correctly and the hiwave debugger confirms a bus frequency of 16 028 535 Hz, but the loss of FLL lock interrupt gets called continuously thereafter (FLL_Lost_Lock_ISR).

I've tried multiple combinations of modem clock out settings and FLL settings. In summary:
    - If I keep the output in the low frequency range (62.5KHz or 32.786KHz with RANGE bit of ICGC1 = 0), everything works fine (no loss of lock)
    - If I put the output in the high frequency range (2 MHz, 4 MHz pr 8 MHz with RANGE bit of ICGC1 = 1), the problem occurs.

Can anyone give me some pointers on this issue?
Thanks!
Marc

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

UK_CF_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi Marc,

Can you pls try it with OSCSTEN set in ICGC1, and let us have some feedback? The comparison cycle is very different between the test with RANGE=0 and RANGE=1, and I'm guessing that, since the part locks once, it will be a low power mode issue.

NV_ICGC1 = 0x5C;

Good luck,

Mark

Message Edited by UK_CF_FAE on 2008-06-17 08:14 PM
0 Kudos

MarcB
Contributor I
Thanks for the input Mark.

Unfortunately this has not solved the problem.

Is such a clock configuration something that should work? That is supported? That has been tried on one of the dev boards?

Thanks
Marc
0 Kudos