i.MX6Dual DDR Expandability

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6Dual DDR Expandability

nextsteve
Contributor III

Hi, I am making a board based on the NXP i.MX6DL Sabre board (SPF-27392_C5.pdf) and am wondering how much flexibility is allowed for the DDR memory.

The reference design has 4 DDR chips but ideally I would like to build with just one DDR chip at first, and provide upgrade paths to add more DDR memories with PCB stuffing options.

For example, is it possible to build a Sabre-derived board with only U4, but then support alternate configs such as stuffing U4 & U2 if two DDR memories are needed, or U2 & U3 & U4 & U5 if all 4 memories are needed? 

If this is possible then which DDR memories are recommended to stuff for the single DDR and dual DDR configs for the best compatibility with the BSP?

Thanks,

Steve

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You may mount DRAM parts as needed, but as the following sequence :

16-bit port  - U3 (D[0-15]) ;

32-bit port - U3 (D[0-15]),  U5 (D[16-31]) ;

64-bit port - U3 (D[0-15]),  U5 (D[16-31]),   U2(D[32-47]), U4(D[48-63]) ;

Memory configuration in BSP also should be changed :

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-330305 

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

nextsteve
Contributor III

Thanks Yuri that helps. Are there any recommended practices for dealing with clock termination for the variable DRAM chip configuration?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos