cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K64, KDS 3.0, KSDK 1.2, PE

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

I am using KDS 3.0 and KSDK 1.2.0 with PE to develop my application on FRDM-64F. I have the following questions:

1) I am using PE to generate the drivers that I want, like CANBUS, RS232, and etc...But there are limited numbers allowed because it will cause link length exceed max(8192). It will be changed on next release?

2) Can use BSP to generate library, then in my application, just call the functions that I want? All supported drivers will be included in BSP? When I use this way, can I still use PE to add the device I want or I have to work with BSP?

3) If I change MCU, what I need to do is re-compile BSP?

Thanks,

Christie

Labels (1)
14 Replies

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

A1) Re: KDS 3.0 Linker Line Length Issue or directly to excellent blog Solving the 8192 Character Command Line Limit on Windows | MCU on Eclipse

A2) Yes you can do that approach.

A3) yes you would have to re-compile for new device.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi David,

1) There is any document to say how to create the project by using K64F BSP, then by using PE to other driver, like CANBUS driver? Is there two drivers for CANBUS now, one from BSP, the other from PE, and which one will be used?

2) There is any document to say how to use the different MCU BSP for the same project, just change the MUC, other function will be the same?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

The MQX implementation in KSDK_1.3 is very different than the classic MQX like MQX_4.x.  MQX_4.x had the RTOS broken up into multiple projects to generate libraries (BSP/PSP/MFS/RTCS/USB/etc...).  The classic MQX has its own peripheral drivers that are located in the BSP.  The BSP was PE enabled.  So you could easily add in peripheral components to the BSP and access them from your MQX application project.

MQX in KSDK_1.3 uses the static peripheral drivers in KSDK.  MQX can be added to a new project easily using PE.  And PE has peripheral components that can be added quickly to the project.  This project is monolithic at this point and there is no BSP.  Only if you need filesystem or stack (Ethernet/USB/etc..) does it then need to access a library. 

Since creating a new MQX project is easy I think it would be simpler to create new projects for each MCU you develop and just copy the application code from one project to another.

See if this posts helps: How To: Create a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS

Regards,

David 

0 Kudos

rubenjonsson
Contributor II

You can use different MCUs in the same project with configurations in PE. If your peripherals/components are connected to different pins or have different functionality you can duplicate the components and use one for each configuration. Alternatively you could manually initialize those components in code based on the selected configuration in PE. When using configurations, PE creates macros based on the configuration name that you can use in #ifdef tests.

/Ruben

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

Looks like there is no easy way to build a project by using KDS 3.0 and KSDK 1.2.0 and PE. Then I can add lwIP stack, USB stack, MFS and etc.. to my project? In this way, I can still use PE to generate the hardware driver, and etc...?

Is there any recommended sample project for me as my starting point?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi David,

I am using KDS 3.0 and KSDK 1.2.0 or 1.3.0, so I won't use MQX_4.X way.

Yes. I need to use file system, Ethernet, and USB stack. I have any idea to use these in my environment.

Now, I create my application by using KDS 3.0, KSDK 1.2.0 and PE without any OS used. All drivers are added by using PE.

That is why I am worry about 8192 limitation...I had the problem with this limitation and fixed by using less driver and short name...

So, I do not know how to add file system, Ethernet, USB stack and etc...

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

This link resolves the 8192 character issue:  Re: KDS 3.0 Linker Line Length Issue

There is no one simple answer for building up your software requirement.

There is a new tool called the Kinetis Project Generator that can be used to create new projects or clone existing ones.

Software Development Kit for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale

Other training that might help:

Training Class: MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK, Kinetis Design Studio (6 labs, including TCP/IP)

Note that individual examples for using Ethernet, MFS, and USB are in the KSDK_1.3.  You would need to study them and merge them together to meet your software requirement.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

niranjanbc
Contributor IV

Hi David,

which link are you referring to solve the 8192 character issue?   are you referring to link to project generator tool.

thanks

Niranjan

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Niranjan,

Re: KDS 3.0 Linker Line Length Issue

Regards,

David 

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi David,

Thank you for your information.

Looks like that I have to use MQX for RTOS for Kinetis KSDK way for my application? I have the following questions:

1) There is no PE available?

2) No other RTOS can be used?

3) How big for RTOS kernel in this mode?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

A1) PE is available option when you create a new KSDK+Device|Board+PE.

A2) In PE you can choose no RTOS, or MQX, or FreeRTOS or uCos.  The issue is what other capabilities do you want and currently if MFS+Ethernet+USB then MQX is best solution.  In time we will have that same enablement for FreeRTOS.

A3) Depends on features you enable but 12-30Kbytes typical range.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi David,

Based o what you said, I can use KDS, KSDK and PE to create my project by using MQX RTOS, then I can add MFS+Ethernet+USB stack by using PE, just like adding the driver? Or I have to install something before doing this?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

I should clarify a bit further as the enablement puzzle is complex and a moving target.

The MQX does have the best solution for MFS+Ethernet+USB but it has to be added individually as those stacks are not supported within PE.  So PE could be used for the other on-chip peripherals.  To add insult to injury we do not have an out of box example doing everything like our Classic MQX_4.2's web_hvac demo.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi David,

I am using KDS 3.0 and KSDK 1.2.0 to generate my new project by using MQX..

Now, I am using PE to generate IIC, CAN, and etc... drivers for my project and worked fine.

Could you tell me how to import TCP/IP, USB stack, and MFS into my existing project?

Thanks,

Christie