The MIMXRT1050-EVK includes a CMSIS-DAP/DAP-Link interface that includes MSD drag and drop functionality for the HyperFlash on the board. The drag and drop programming functionality can be used to program applications compiled to execute-in-place (XIP) from the HyperFlash memory. The DAP-Link application will take the raw application binary and prepend the flash configuration block for the HyperFlash and an IVT to make a bootable image.
To use the drag and drop programming:
1. Configure the board for serial downloader mode by setting SW7 to OFF-ON-OFF-ON.
2. Press SW3 to reset the processor.
3. Drag the application binary to the RT1050-EVK drive.
4. Put the board back in internal boot mode by setting SW7 to OFF-ON-ON-OFF.
5. Press SW3 to reset the processor and your application should boot.
There are some limitations to the drag and drop programming to keep in mind:
- Only works for Hyperflash XIP applications. Doesn't support copying the code from HyperFlash to another memory (like ITCM) for execution
- v0241 of the application supports a max image size of 59.5KB (last address in binary up to 0xEDFF)
- v0244 of the application supports up to 1MB (last address in the binary up to 0xF_FFFF)
- Application initial stack pointer must be located in DTCM
- Doesn't support DCD files
The flashloader and ROM tools offer a second external memory programming method where the limitations above do not apply:
Refer to AN12107 for more information: