i.MX51 EVK U-boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX51 EVK U-boot

i.MX51 EVK U-boot

Working with mainline U-Boot

Freescale BSP provides an i.MX51 EVK U-boot port. However, i.MX51 EVK is also supported on I-boot main tree. This quick "how to" teaches how to use it.

0. Get u-boot code from the imx U-Boot Custodian tree:

$ git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-imx.git

1. Prepare the environment:

$ export PATH="$PATH:/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.1.2-glibc-2.5-nptl-3/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/"

$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

2. Configure for i.MX 51 EVK

$ cd u-boot-imx

$ make mx51evk_config

3. Compile

$ make u-boot.imx 

iMX may SoCs use its internal ROM to execute some instructions at boot time, using "make u-boot.imx" an image containing the instructions

4. Copy the compiled file to a SD card on your host machine, insert the SD card and:

$ sudo dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2 

"/dev/mmcblk0" should replaced according to your host, use "dmesg" after inserting the SD to find out where is the SD on your host. Unmount it before issuing the dd command. seek 2, skips the first 1K bytes (2x512) of the SD where the ROM expects the boot image for SD.

5. Insert the SD on the i.MX51 EVK, and set the switches for SD card boot and power on the board.

Labels (1)
Comments

Great post.    I just used this to replace the u-boot from LTIB and it was straight forward and was working in less than half an hour.   The latest version of u-boot is quite a bit nicer than the old LTIB version. 

Do you know where to get a .spec for the git version that could be put into LTIB?  

Yocto has this version already ;-)

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎09-10-2020 01:40 AM
Updated by: