cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mpc5121 linux boot via nfs not working

Jump to solution
kbm1008
Contributor I

I'm new to LTIB.  I'm having trouble getting an nfs mount of my rootfs to work.   I followed the instructions in AN3765: Porting Linux for the MPC5121e, Appendix B.  Linux boot using "run net_nfs" fails with an "nfs: server 192.168.1.32 not responding" error.  I then tried to simply mount the rootfs manually and that fails with a "Protocol not supported" error.  Both host and target have fixed IP addresses.  Specifics:

host/nfs_server: 192.168.1.32

target: 192.168.1.45

host>cd /tftpboot 

host>ls -l ltib
lrwxrwxrwx 1 brenda brenda 24 2009-04-20 14:16 ltib -> /home/brenda/ltib/rootfs

host>exportfs

/home/brenda/ltib-mpc5121ads-20081208/rootfs

target>mount 192.168.1.32:/tftpboot/ltib /mnt
mount: mounting 192.168.1.32:/tftpboot/ltib on /mnt failed: Protocol not supported

The host syslog simply shows that mountd authenticated a mount request from 192.168.1.45.  I've been trying to figure out what the "Protocol not supported" error means with no luck.  Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kbm1008
Contributor I

Fabio - thanks for the reply.  I finally figured out what was going on.  We recently had to move some hardware to a different subnet including both the 5121 board and the host computer.  And while I had set the new IP address both in U-boot environment variables and directly on the Linux installed on the board, I had forgotton that I configured the board address in ltib before the hdwe move.  Which explains why the new rootfs could not be mounted by NFS (address was changing during the boot process).  Still doesn't explain why a manual mount command didn't work since the host /etc/exports file and board had the new address.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Try to mount the /tftpboot/ltib directory on your host PC first.

Make sure you have NFS installed and running and that you added an entry for /tftpboot/ltib into /cat/exports

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos
kbm1008
Contributor I

Fabio - thanks for the reply.  I finally figured out what was going on.  We recently had to move some hardware to a different subnet including both the 5121 board and the host computer.  And while I had set the new IP address both in U-boot environment variables and directly on the Linux installed on the board, I had forgotton that I configured the board address in ltib before the hdwe move.  Which explains why the new rootfs could not be mounted by NFS (address was changing during the boot process).  Still doesn't explain why a manual mount command didn't work since the host /etc/exports file and board had the new address.

0 Kudos
bbjh1
Contributor I

Hi I am facing the same problem. I installed and configured ltib for mpc5121e on my host. How can I mount the imgae using tftp?

0 Kudos
hpdwally
Contributor II

I run a  little script before I boot ubuntu to get the NFS server working

sudo ifconfig eth3 172.27.27.100 netmask 255.255.255.0

sudo dpkg-reconfigure portmap

sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart

sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd restart

sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

Make sure you do not bind to the local loopback, that caught me off for a day or so >:

0 Kudos