The multi-communication feature of the KW36

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The multi-communication feature of the KW36

sihanchen
Contributor III

I would like to a ask a question about the multi-communication feature of the KW36. 

In our design, The KW36 will use BLE's SSP (serial port profile) and without using FreeRtos to communicate with 4 peripherals and have to transmit and receive the application data of 4 peripherals at same time. (multi-communication)

There are my question list as below : 

(1). Does KW36 have to use FreeRtos to run in multi-communication (4 peripherals) mode.

We don't like to use FreeRtos in our design, Because our design is to focus on automotive product.  

(2). Does the NXP's sample SDK provide related example SDK? 

If not, For more easy integration and development which NXP's example SDK should I use as code base? 

(3). If KW36 have to use FreeRtos for multi-communication feature, For more easy integration and development which NXP's example SDK should I use as code base? 

Thanks. 

5 Replies

sihanchen
Contributor III

HI Sebastian,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Whether I can understand that what you said is that BLE requires to run in RTOS, Therefore, the sample SDK bm or freertos are both kind of the same thing. That means BLE must be to running on RTOS. In order to use the SPP (serial port profile) and multi-communication with 4 peripherals. (bluetooth_w_uart_bm) and (blue_w_uart_freertos) of example SDK Which one do you recommend as our product's code-base. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sihan,

The choice of implementation for a project will really depend on different factors, as some projects could require more advanced Amazon FreeRTOS features and functionality, while others may be fine with the features provided by the OS Abstraction Layer and bare-metal implementation.

To determine which one is better for your application, could you please take a look at the documentation for both Amazon FreeRTOS and the Connectivity Framework APIs?

These can be found here:

<…\SDK_2.2.2_FRDM-KW36\docs\rtos\Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK and FreeRTOS OS.pdf>

<…\SDK_2.2.2_FRDM-KW36\docs\wireless\Common\Connectivity Framework Reference Manual.pdf>

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

sihanchen
Contributor III

HI Sebastian, 

OK. I will take some time to look the documentation which you provided it. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sihan,

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards, and I hope you're doing well,

Sebastian

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sihan, I hope you're doing well!

The BLE stack developed for KW36 requires some sort of RTOS to function as intended, but it doesn't necessarily have to be FreeRTOS. The SDK examples come in two varieties: FreeRTOS and baremetal.

Still the "baremetal" example still use a kind of Abstraction Layer called the OSA Layer. This layer helps implement the RTOS requirements for the BLE stack to function properly, while not implementing FreeRTOS itself.

The SDK used for the KW36 can be downloaded from the MCUXpresso SDK builder online, where you can add all of the components you need for your design.

Within the folders of the SDK, you will find the examples provided for BLE, in the following path:

<…\SDK_2.2.2_FRDM-KW36 - MCUXpresso\boards\frdmkw36\wireless_examples\bluetooth>

There, most of the examples provided will have both, the FreeRTOS and Baremetal versions.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best regards,

Sebastian