Convert KMS to MCAT project

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert KMS to MCAT project

vegard
Contributor I

I've nearly finished developing an application with custom HW+FW based on Kinetis Motor Suite, and before moving onto production of larger quantities I see now that KMS support is discontinued. 

I downloaded the AN12374 package and managed to get a running project fairly quickly using the MCAT tool. However, I'm struggling with getting the motor to run properly, for instance the motor stops when transitioning from startup to spin. Is there any way to easily convert the parameters used in the KMS project to similar parameters used by MCAT, or could you assist me in converting my project? The MCU I'm using is MKV31F256VLH12P, and KMS project is sensorless hall start. 

Also, will you add support for field weakening operation?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

petersch
Contributor I

Hello vegard,

I had the same issue with KMS discontinue. I do not believe there is a simple conversion from KMS to the MCAT/FREEMASTER environment.

I am afraid you have to put some effort in AN12374 to get it working. I alos started agian with AN12374 and it worked pretty well even there are some teething problems. Unfortunatly I have no experiance with hall start.

I have now a version running with sensored torque controll and are working on a sensorless torque controll version.

Conserning you parameters I would use MCAT/FREEMASTER to characterize your motor and regulator again. Relevant MCAT/FREEMASTER  files are included in AN12374. I only had some issues when using the whole at 20kHz PWM but at 10kHz it is working fine.

I have no idea why your motor stops form startup to spin other than that you parameters are not correct causing the observer not correct initializing or maybe an overcurrent deu to a to high startup current.

Best regards Peter

0 Kudos

vegard
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply. 

I find the tuning process in MCAT much more tedious than with KMS, and I wonder if I should develop on a different platform instead..

0 Kudos

petersch
Contributor I

Hi vegard,

Yes if your HW differs a lot from any of the NXP/Freescale development platforms it is wise to use one of these development platforms first. I used the FRDM-KV31F + FRDM-MC-LVPMSM to start with (same as for KMS) and that worked fine without any problems. My own HW is based on this platform with some changes and so only a few addaptions were needed to get it all running including MCAT. Changing to a different CPU is for later on.

Best regards, Peter

0 Kudos