iMX8X

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8X

ogj
Contributor IV

I'm trying to decipher the iMX 8DualX... Reference Manual (Rev E). I'm trying to determine if the IC has the resources I need for my design. Hardware-wise I need the M4 core to have access to 2x UARTs and 1x SPI port. It would be nice if another UART were available for debug. Going by the CM4 interrupt table 12-5, I see that there is only 1 interrupt for a UART. Table 12-6 shows more interrupts I assume for other UARTs. Are some of these UARTs the same as the one in the SCU? Looking at the total low speed communication picture, (please keep in mind that I am currently using only one of the A35 cores, and of course the M core) the M core needs 3x UARTs (including one for debug) and an SPI port. The A35 needs 2 UARTs (including one for debug) and 2x I2C ports. Is that doable?

What is the main function of the SCU? I understand that it has a function in booting up the cores and something to do with power management. In the manual it states that the SCU controls pin muxing (although I don't see anywhere in the manual where pin muxing is described. I see the pin alternate functions described, but not how to select them. My impression is that the SCU doesn't do anything other than control bootup, power management, and pin muxing; and should not be used for anything else - correct?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ken

m4 has one lpuart (no spi) according to Figure 1. i.MX 8QuadXPlus/8DualXPlus System Block Diagram

i.MX 8DualX Automotive and Infotainment Applications Processors

sect.2.2.9.2 CM4 Memory Map - Local View i.MX 8DualXPlus/8QuadXPlus Applications Processor Reference Manual

There are more uarts/spi modules in ADMA subsystem which are also available to m4, examples can

be found in SDK MEK-MIMX8QX

Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder 

Sor SCU functions one can refer to documentation included in SCFW Porting Kit

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos