What is the maximum number of files the linker can link?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the maximum number of files the linker can link?

muratakdemir
Contributor I

I'm using CodeWarrior 5.1 and I just need to know what the maximum number of files the linker can link, if there is such a maximum.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi  Murat,

I was informed by development team that,

There is no limitation on the maximum number of files (object files and libraries) the linker can link.

There might be limitations coming from the memory the linker process can use in the operating system beneath, but those limitations would be signaled with the appropriate error messages and are not directly related with the number of files to be linked.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

muratakdemir
Contributor I

Thank you Jennie.

Then let me ask you this: under what circumstances would the linker link every object file except for some and without error? This is the situation I'm facing now and I can't see any reason for it. I have 102 object files that need to be linked. The linker links every single one of them except for the same two files. No error is generated so you assume everything was built fine until you examine the project.map file and realize that both of those files, and all labels within, are not included. What's common between these two files is that they include the interrupt vector table and all interrupt service routines. Note that the entire code is relocatable and written in assembly.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Murat.

Could you check if the black dots are enabled for these two files you mentioned? This will inform linker to link the specific file.

11-30-2017 3-24-14 PM.jpg

If the black dots are already enabled for these two files, I would suggest you send your project to NXP support directly to check it.

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-329745?sr=search&searchId=84c7f190-b7b0-4798-8f67-b02e6d1f609b&se... 

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos