cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed on LPC407x Development Environment Setup

krishnad
Contributor II

Hi Community Members,

I am setting a complete development environment based on LPC407X processor. I did go through NXP's product website, when i look into my requirments there are some loose ends here. Hence i am posting my concerns, below are the tools i am considering followed by the questions:

TOOLS:
1: Evaluation Board: (http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/software-development-tools/software-tools/lpc-microco...)
2: Debugger: ULINKpro-D (http://www2.keil.com/mdk5/ulink/ulinkpro)
3: IDEs: LPCxpresso IDE v8.2.2 (http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/software-development-tools/software-tools/lpc-microco...)

QUESTIONS:
1: Is LPCxpresso IDE enough to code, debug and load the binary to memory (RAM or NVM). I will be developing code for bare metal applications. I understand that there is a download limit of 256KB when using non-pro version of IDE. Are there any other alternatives of LPCxpresso IDE which    can help me in debugging and downloading binary to the target platform so that it boots on the platform.
2: For Debugging and loading the binary (bare metal executable) is ARM's unipro debugger good enough for general purpose.Is it compatible with the above mentioned EVal    board and IDE.
3: Is NXP's Eval board compatible with above mentioned debugger and IDE?

Kindly let me know if the above setup is a good combination of power vs price. Basically i am looking for a good setup with best price vs feature combination. If there are other better combination of tools please do let me know. I don't need display and similar peripherals but we are fixed on the processor.

Cheers,
-Kris

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Free Edition of LPCXpresso IDE can build images of any size, but debug download sizes are limited to 256KB (this restriction can be removed by purchasing the Pro Edition). You can use alternative ways of downloading larger images to flash though - such as FlashMagic via the serial port.

For debug probes compatible with LPCXpresso IDE, see: Which debug probes are supported by LPCXpresso IDE with which MCUs? 

But I would certainly recommend that you consider the LPC-Link2: LPC-Link2|NXP 

which is available from many distributors as well as Embedded Artists : LPC-Link 2 | Embedded Artists AB . 

This probe is very reasonably priced, and is highly integrated into LPCXpresso IDE to provide additional debug functionality such as SWO Trace.

PS : The eval board that you mention is actually produced by Embedded Artists too. An LPCOpen package for this containing examples and drivers is provided within the LPCXpresso IDE installs examples directory, and is downloadable from the NXP website too : LPCOpen Software for LPC40XX|NXP 

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and the opportunity to serve you.

1: Is LPCxpresso IDE enough to code, debug and load the binary to memory (RAM or NVM). I will be developing code for bare metal applications. I understand that there is a download limit of 256KB when using non-pro version of IDE. Are there any other alternatives of LPCxpresso IDE which    can help me in debugging and downloading binary to the target platform so that it boots on the platform.

------The KEIL and IAR both are good choices too.

2: For Debugging and loading the binary (bare metal executable) is ARM's unipro debugger good enough for general purpose.Is it compatible with the above mentioned EVal    board and IDE.

-----Yes.

3. Is NXP's Eval board compatible with above mentioned debugger and IDE?

----- Yes, of course.

Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos