ahmedhrabi
Contributor III

Hello everybody,

I'am using the ADC16 on the K64  and here's my config: 

Enable the ADC0 Clock
SIM->SCGC6 |= SIM_SCGC6_ADC0_MASK;

CFG1 CONF

ADC0->CFG1 = (0 << 7) |              /* Normal power configuration.*/
(0 << 5) |                                        /* The divide ratio is 1 and the clock rate is input clock. */
(0 << 4) |                                        /* Select short sample time*/
(3 << 2) |                                        /* Select 16-bit conversion*/
(0 << 0);                                         /* Input clock is (Bus clock)*/

CFG2 CONF

ADC0->CFG2 = (0 << 4) |             /* ADxxa channels are selected*/
(0 << 3) |                                        /* Async clock output disabled*/
(1 << 2) |                                        /*High-speed conversion sequence */
(3 << 0);                                         /* 2 extra ADCK cycles; 6 ADCK cycles total sample time. */

SC1 CONF

ADC0->SC1[0] = (1 << 6) |              /* Conversion complete interrupt enabled */
(1 << 5) |                                          /* DIFF conversions and input ch are selected */
(1 << 0);                                           /* Select DAD1 as input*/

SC2 CONF

ADC0->SC2 = (0 << 6) |                   /* Software trigger selected*/
(0 << 5) |                                           /* Compare function disabled*/
(0 << 4) |                                           /* Compare configures less than threshold */
(0 << 3) |                                           /* Range function disabled*/
(0 << 2) |                                           /* DMA is disabled*/
(0 << 0);                                            /* Default voltage reference*/

SC3 CONF

ADC0->SC3 |= (0 << 2) |                   /* Hardware average function disabled */

1)How to set the adc on maximum sampling rate ?

2) How to determine the value of the ADC maximum sampling rate with a custom configuration? 

Thanks. 

Tags (1)
4 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi ahmed hrabi,

1)How to set the adc on maximum sampling rate ?

Do you want to set the sample time or conversation rate?

Sample time, you can find it from the K64 reference manual:

pastedImage_1.png

To select which sample time, it determined by your hardware, more details, please read this application note:

http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN4373.pdf

About the max conversation time for 16 bit, you can find it from the K64 datasheet:

pastedImage_2.png

2) How to determine the value of the ADC maximum sampling rate with a custom configuration? 

I think you want to know the adc conversation rate, not the sampling rate.

If you know how to calculate the conversation rate, then it is easy to know the conversation rate from the customer configuration.

Please read the k64 reference manual, chapter 35.4.4.5 Sample time and total conversion time.

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

Just checking the customer's register configuration, then according to the above formula and calculate it.

Please calculate it by yourself at first.

If you still have question, please contact me!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cyuk
Contributor I

Hi,

Yes Kerry, would you please do the calculation for me. I am in the same situation. I don't get it. What you did not include in the tables above, is the fact, that the K64 has an ADC clock limit of 18 MHz (and 12 MHz in 16 bit mode). Now, will you please prove to me (and everybody else), how 16 bit resolution is reachable at 461 ksps?

I think NXP tries to hide the true convertion rates, and that the rates given in the datasheet is only for 8 bit resolution. Please prove that I am wrong. You will break my heart, if you say that the convertion rate is limited to 12 MHz / (34+5+5) clks = 272 ksps for 16 bit resolution and 18 MHz / (30+5+5) = 450 ksps in 13 bit resolution (differential). Here assuming the bus clock equals the adc clock - it does not really matter that much.

Best regards Ulrik

0 Kudos

cyuk
Contributor I

And let me also add this. In the reference manual for K24 is an example where the ADC clock becomes 20 MHz, but which Kinetis chips can run at 20 MHz?

0 Kudos

cyuk
Contributor I

Untitled.png

0 Kudos