Any advice how to use pressure (altimeter) sensor in airtight box? Is it possible without hole? Altimeter is used in environment with different gases and need to be airtight.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice how to use pressure (altimeter) sensor in airtight box? Is it possible without hole? Altimeter is used in environment with different gases and need to be airtight.

samulimakinen
Contributor I

We are developing device with altimeter. The pressure sensor will be on board and the board is inside of airtight box. What would be best way to measure the hight change in this case? Any advice if the box would be only water proof?

We really don't want any dirt of water inside of the box, even the air might be too much.

Br

Sam

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sam,

I don’t think that it is possible to use the altimeter inside an airtight box, the reason is because the way that the NXP altimeters measure the altitude is by calculating the difference between a known pressure (sealed chamber inside the altimeter) and the local atmospheric pressure outside the altimeter. So, if you have the sensor inside an airtight box it will always measure the same value, which would be the pressure inside the box (not the desired atmospheric pressure), therefore, altitude measure would be wrong. 

Unfortunately, we do not have any water proof altimeter in our current portfolio.

I hope this helps

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos